We are looking for a hardworking, ambitious and dynamic qualified teacher to join Harris Academy Wimbledon as Deputy Director of Science, leading this new academy towards excellence. You will have excellent opportunities to engage in wider Harris Federation academy improvement and professional development activities.Your opportunity
Your role will be:
- To deputise for the Director of Science.
- To be accountable for student progress and development throughout an agreed key stage/science specialsm in the subject area including meeting student achievement targets which are agreed by the Principal and the Governing Body.
- To assist the Director of Science to ensure high standards of teaching and learning across the subject area through continuously, developing and enhancing the quality of teaching and learning.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students in the agreed key stage/specialism, in accordance with the academy aims and policies, as determined by the Principal and Governing Body.
- To ensure that all academy policies and procedures are implemented and applied consistently by all staff in the subject area.
- To assist the Director of Science to effectively and efficiently manage and deploy teaching/support staff, financial and physical resources across the subject area.
- To assist the Director of Science to lead development for literacy, through the WORD strategy, within subject areas, to raise standards of Literacy across the academy.
Harris Academy Wimbledon opened in September 2018. We are a brand new, co-educational 11-18 school for the High Path area. We currently have 500 students in years 7, 8 & 9 and will build year by year with an intake of 180 pupils in each year group.
Harris Academy Wimbledon promotes high levels of academic achievement across the curriculum, encourages participation in extra-curricular opportunities and empowers students to make decisions wisely. The curriculum is rich, diverse and personalised ensuring every student achieves his or her true potential. Academic success goes hand-in-hand with a rich variety of enrichment and extra-curricular activities; these activities help foster a spirit of aspiration, resilience and joy in learning.
Professional learning is at the heart of academy supporting all staff in their development. The academy has a growth mindset approach where industry and commitment are seen as cultural virtues. Development of resilience, self esteem, managing risks/consequences and the ability to work effectively together all form a key part of the pastoral provision.
We offer you the opportunity to advance your career within a supportive academy environment. You would be part of a Federation established in developing practitioners and nurturing excellent future leaders, with unrivalled opportunities for progression; whatever your aspirations as a teacher, middle or senior leader. Our Teaching School Alliance provides a range of bespoke courses and qualifications, including our Aspiring Leaders NPQML and NPQSL programmes to help you achieve your ambitions more quickly.What we are looking for:
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning. The Deputy Director of Science will be a well-qualified specialist, holding QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree, you will have the ability to teach from KS3 to KS5. We are looking for a strong communicator with proven skills in engaging with, inspiring and motivating, not just the school community but the wider
For a full job description and person specification, please download the job pack.Why work at Harris Academy Wimbledon?
The opportunity to be part of the founding team of an academy with the highest of expectations and ambitions for its staff and students;
Unrivalled potential for personal and professional development as the academy grows;
All the advantages of a highly successful academy group, including strong central support and outstanding CPD opportunities.About Harris Academy Wimbledon
Harris Academy Wimbledon will be an outstanding place to learn. It will provide an excellent education in an innovative, inclusive and happy environment. As well as promoting academic achievement across the curriculum and encouraging participation in extra-curricular opportunities, we want to support our students to make decisions wisely, ready for the challenges they will face as adults. As part of the Harris Federation, we will have the opportunity to partner with other successful Harris schools across London and will have access to a shared pool of resources and expertise.
In September 2020, we will open our brand new building in High Path, which is being purpose built for our students. Until then, we will be situated in the redeveloped adult education centre on Whatley Avenue, with full access to all the facilities and resources we need as a successful, thriving school.
With the support of our local community, we know that Harris Academy Wimbledon will match the high standards Harris academies are known for, and that we will take excellent care of students.
Being part of a school at its inception is a great experience. Our first students will be the role models for the future and set a trail for others to emulate. Come and be part of this with us!Next Steps
Please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your online application.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call