Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Telford
This is not the Civil Service as you know it! HMRC is continuing to implement bold plans to transform our Tax services. We are already one of the most digitally advanced organisations in the UK, and our aim is even more ambitious: we aim to be one of the most digitally advanced tax authorities in the world.
As part of this we are focused on Making Tax Digital, transforming the experience for our customers. We want to make it easy for our customers to get their tax right, whilst enabling HMRC to fulfil its being trusted and valued ambitions.
As Interim Director for Making Tax Digital I am accountable for the delivery of the MTD package, ensuring more accurate record keeping by businesses, reducing the amount lost through avoidable errors and the need for costly HMRC interventions. I am also accountable for designing and delivering a Self-Assessment service that is modern and fit for purpose for our HMRC customer.
I want to work with passionate, energetic people who are up for the challenge of delivering transformation on a huge scale, and who already have real hands-on experience of driving through business change.
We need inspirational leaders to take people on this journey. You will be using your deep programme management expertise, visionary leadership and customer transformation capabilities to work in partnership with our business leaders, setting and delivering the transformational strategy to support critical activities for the country. You will be accountable for delivering the Self-Assessment solution for both our internal and external customers.
If you are passionate about business transformation and improving the UKs tax strategy, policy and design, and you are eager to deliver excellent services and you want to work in a diverse and inclusive organisation, this will be a thoroughly rewarding role.
The role is the head of the Income Tax Self-Assessment delivery team in Making Tax Digital (MTD). MTD is a GMPA Transformation Programme in HMRC with a 5 year budget of circa £500m, it is a critical part of HMRC's and the Government's roadmap to making our Tax services the most digitally advanced in the world. The programme is undertaking both internal and external customer service transformation and requires a leader who can manage the delivery of both customer services, while delivering on the significant benefits associated with the programmes business case, circa £2b score card ATR.
It is imperative that the programme delivers solutions that meet our customer's needs and meets the legislative requirements of the tax regimes. The role requires strong Project and Programme Management skills, sound understanding of the major Tax regimes, and significant strength in both stakeholder management and leadership.
• The principle activity of the role will be to ensure that the end to end service delivered by MTD meets both internal and external customers' needs, while delivering on the significant benefits associated with the Programme's business case.
• Continue delivery of the MTD for Income Tax Self-Assessment (ITSA) service to meet the mandation date of April 2023.
• Provide visible day to day leadership of the ITSA Delivery Team; manage, coach and mentor the Delivery Team; build and maintain cross-HMRC stakeholder engagement and commitment, whilst playing an active part in the MTD SLT.
• Work closely with CDIO colleagues to ensure effective delivery of the digital and technological strands of the project.
• Engage with senior stakeholders and suppliers providing the single point of contact for the MTD ITSA Project.
• Maintain appropriate Governance and Assurance arrangements in the project, through oversight of the Programme Management Office.
• Ensure all delivery streams within the project link together and are co-ordinated - effectively managing dependencies, inter-dependencies and risks.
• Oversee the effective allocation of finance and resources to the Project.
• Provide input into Programme Business Cases and maintain the ITSA Project Business Case and their key documents.
• Endorse and demonstrate the use of appropriate standards and recognised good practice in project management and learning from the experience of others.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate their experience and capability in the following areas:
• Strong leadership skills, with experience of leading diverse teams. An ability to motivate, inspire and guide others, including peers and more senior colleagues, to deliver in an uncertain and fast-paced environment.
• Proven experience of major transformational project and programme delivery. Experience of managing and delivering major IT/technical delivery projects, including close management of large budgets and resources across multiple teams.
• Experience of using Agile methodologies to deliver end-to-end large-scale front-end digital solutions through to HMRC backend systems, and managing multiple internal and external delivery groups and suppliers.
• Outstanding stakeholder management and communication skills, with an ability to influence constructively and command confidence at all levels.
• Exceptional strategic thinking skills, able to draw together disparate complex issues, and lead wide ranging teams to resolve delivery and internal/external business concerns and implement practical solutions.
• Ability to lead and facilitate complex negotiations while maintaining progress and accommodating divergent views and differing priorities.
• A proven ability to analyse complex information and present to a senior audience in a succinct and effective manner.
• A proven working knowledge of the tax system and an experience of operating and linking across complex systems and regimes.
• A qualification in Project Management.
• A working knowledge of HMRC business areas and functions