REPORTING TO: Managing Director and Chair of the Board of Governance
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE: Overall responsibility for Accounting, Financial Strategy, IT, Compliance, Health and Safety, HR and Support Services.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF THE ROLE:
- Contributing to short, medium and long term plans that ensure both the sustainability and growth of the School.
- Responsible for Accounting, Banking, Payroll, Pensions, Catering, IT.
- Responsible for the production of termly accrual-based management accounts to present at Board of Governance meetings, and preparation of annual statutory accounts.
- Preparing annual phased budgets and rolling financial forecasts.
- Preparing ongoing cash-flow forecasts and liaising with external organisations on funding where appropriate.
- Preparation and issue of fee invoices and collection of fees, including the management of Parent debtors.
- Advising on, and implementing any, school fee changes.
- Liaising with professional advisers including Auditors, Bankers, Pension providers and Insurance Brokers.
- Responsible for regulatory compliance in line with Financial Regulations and ensuring Internal Controls are in place.
Buildings and Health and Safety
- Management of Property and Grounds maintenance.
- Dealing with any Health and Safety issues.
- Management of Building improvements and new projects
- Organising of tendering processes for the award of contracts for catering, cleaning, energy supply, IT support and telephone communication systems with regular monitoring of these contracts to ensure control and, where possible, savings on expenditure.
- Management of site and building security.
- Implementation and maintenance of Health and Safety Policies to ensure the wellbeing of staff, pupils and visitors and compliance with the H and S legislation both on the school premises and in relation to Risk Assessments for school trips and outings.
- The provision and maintenance of the School fire prevention, detection and escape systems.
- Assuring the School's compliance with all relevant Health and Safety and Disability legislation.
- The purchase, maintenance and insurance of school vehicles and their Public Service Vehicle licences.
- Organising School Minibus runs.
- The letting of school premises for outside organisations and weddings including drafting of agreements, billing and collecting the fees. Liaising with Insurers to ensure adequate cover for lettings and other special events.
Staff and Administration
- In consultation with the headmaster, the engagement, management (including appraisals) and discipline of all non-teaching staff
- All compliance and HR matters including the Single Central Register and Data Protection.
- The maintenance and development of the school's computerised accounting and administration system.
- Updating and overseeing all school policies and risk assessments.
Leading the marketing team in promoting the school, overseeing design of the school website, prospectus, local advertising and social media.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The school remains in operation throughout the year and this role is permanent and full time; some evening and weekend work will be required.
- The salary will be commensurate with experience and reviewed annually.
- Subject to successful completion of the appropriate pre-employment safeguarding checks the start date is expected to be Monday 5th April 2021, though consideration will be given to the candidate's availability.
- The responsibilities of the Business Manager are subject to variation, by negotiation as the needs and priorities of the school develop over time. You may be required to be flexible and perform other duties as required by the Managing Director.
- The Business Manager is subject to an appraisal and performance review on a periodic basis, with the first year being probationary.
- A substantial fee remission is available at Great Ballard School for staff children meeting the entrance requirements, to allow them to be educated at the school.
- Statutory holiday entitlements will be applied. This is currently 28 days including bank holidays.
- The School provides a contributory workplace pension scheme, currently, a group personal pension with Scottish Widows. Subject to the eligibility requirements and Part 1 of the Pensions Act 2008 (Pension Scheme Membership for Jobholders), you may be enrolled into the Scheme automatically, or you may elect to join the Scheme.
- Lunches are available free of charge whenever the catering department is in operation. Tea and coffee are available at all times.
- There is plenty of car parking available for staff.
- A key worker Health Insurance package is provided
- Training (CPD) is actively encouraged and supported with staff at the school expected to develop their professional practice through further training and education;
- All staff are expected to demonstrate a commitment to the ethos of the school.
Further details and an application form are available on the school's website www.greatballard.co.uk