At M&G our vision is: to become the best loved and most successful savings and investment business
and we're looking for people who are excited about joining us on our journey. We're digitally transforming and investing heavily in technology and innovation to develop new and improved customer propositions that really raise the bar for our customers. To help us achieve our vision we're looking for exceptional people who live our values and behaviours and who can inspire others; embrace change; deliver results and keep it simple.
We know that an inclusive environment makes us more accessible and ensures we attract, engage, promote and retain exceptional people. We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity/nationality, disability, or military service and welcome those who have taken career breaks. We will consider flexible working arrangements or home working arrangements for any of our roles. What you can expect from us:
We are committed to creating an environment where you can be exceptional at all you do. To help us deliver this, we promise to:
How do we support our employees:
- Challenge Your Limits by creating a stimulating working environment and providing opportunities for you to be involved in meaningful and challenging work
- Support Your Aspirations with a commitment to learning and development that helps you achieve and build your experience with people who want you to succeed
- Value Your Input whereby leaders and managers will involve you in key decisions, listen to your thoughts and recognise the important contribution you make
- Balance Your Life through a work life partnership that focuses on making this an inclusive, diverse and friendly place to work and offers the flexibility and support that enables everyone to be at their best
All M&G plc employees will be supported in the workplace through our LifeWorks employee assistance programme which is run by Canada Life. If you need counselling, confidential financial or legal advice. T he service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and offers access to qualified professionals who can provide specialist information, advice and support on many issues. It offers a broad range of services, including help with family issues, maintaining work/life balance and mental health support.
M&G Real Estate is the property investment arm of M&G Plc. We are one of the world's largest property investors with over £30bn of assets across all the major sectors in the UK, Europe and Asia. Drawing on >150 years of investment experience, we actively manage our properties to maximise returns and generate a strong income stream for institutional investors. Purpose
To take holistic responsibility as a sector specialist for a portfolio of UK assets, leading the asset team with accountability for business planning, financial accounting, valuation and optimising net operating income to drive investment returns.
In accordance with approved strategies, a broad role with decision making responsibility for all asset level activities from capital markets to rent collection and including asset management & leasing, RPI sustainability, development and property management & accounting oversight as client representative.
Undertake sales and purchases in partnership with the Capital Markets Origination team and Fund Managers.
Contributing to the Investment Strategy view formation providing thought leadership, sector knowledge and expertise. Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities Asset Ownership
Accountability for asset performance including asset management, leasing, property management and accounting, valuation and appraisal:
Identifying, evaluating and implementing initiatives to drive asset performance; Delivering an annual Asset Plan for each property with a property budget and clear SMART objectives; Implementing the asset strategy in accordance with the Asset Plan, leading the wider asset team to prioritise activities and ensuring that agreed objectives are communicated and followed through; Implementing the leasing strategy including:
letting vacant premises;
managing rent reviews and lease renewals using external suppliers;
negotiating surrenders and re-lettings and, re-gearing leases;
adding value through planning change, property reconfiguration, refurbishment and development initiatives;
Approving the property management strategy and objectives and overseeing implementation by the Property Manager ensuring:
income is maximised and non-recoverable costs proactively managed & minimised;
assets are kept "ready for sale" (other than where part of an agreed strategy);
legal documentation, statutory records, management records and relevant data are up to date at all times;
Applying M&G Real Estate's Sustainability requirements demonstrating appreciation of costs and awareness of driving investment returns; Taking ownership of the asset valuation, ensuring data is accurate and all relevant information is provided to the fund's valuers; Oversee the resolution of complaints that arise from activities on the property and, as appropriate liaise with the Customer Relationship and PR teams. Investment Strategies and Transactions
In conjunction with the Capital Markets Origination team and Fund Managers:
- seek out investment opportunities to optimise fund returns and to put forward ideas for research and product development;
- undertake analysis and recommend the sale of specific investment properties;
- take on 'deal owner' accountabilities for purchases and sales, working with front office and support team stakeholders to complete due diligence ensuring that issues (and risk mitigation) are identified, managed and resolved
Manage the portfolio to the highest standards of professionalism and best market practice taking full accountability to:
- support the Fund Manager with the preparation of client reports, Investment Committee papers, sector strategy planning and, the provision of valuation and performance data
- provide such fund and business reporting as may be required, keeping senior stakeholders updated about progress on the main objectives in the asset plan
- share market information, adding value through thought leadership, promoting sector strategies and being sector champions
Maintaining a strong discipline to ensure compliance with:
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- AML (anti-money laundering) and TCF policies (Treating Customers Fairly);
- All regulations, investment guidelines and restrictions regarding clients' mandates;
- M&G's governance, policies and procedures in addition to any that may be client specific;
- Fulfilling regulatory requirements, including timely completion of all regulatory training and declarations and timely reporting of breaches or policy or compliance regulations;
- Health and Safety responsibilities appropriate for the role;
- Agency and Professional team appointments;
- Media policy and protocol requirements to manage reputational risk.
- Recently qualified RICS and/or with good all round knowledge of the UK property market preferably with some retail sector experience through investment/asset management, agency or professional experience, with clear understanding of real estate portfolio management and asset investment performance drivers
- A contributor to the wider Real Estate team willing to take on additional responsibilities, to share knowledge at team meetings and play an active role beyond their day to day role;
- Competencies that include:
- Proven communication, report writing, presentation & relationship building skills
- Strong numeracy skills with an attention to detail and accuracy preferably with experience of using valuation software.
- Superior time management & organisational skills
- Extensive business and market contacts
We live by four behaviours at M&G and we ask all our employees to:
- Inspire Others - Support and encourage each other, creating an environment where everyone can contribute and succeed
- Embrace Change - Be open to change, willing to be challenged and able to adapt quickly and imaginatively to new ideas
- Deliver Results - Focus on outcomes, set high standards and deliver with energy and determination
- Keep it Simple - Cut through complexity and bureaucracy, be clear and decisive and never overcomplicate things