Your new role
As a Communications Manager in Highways England you will be part of a regional team located in the East (Bedford). You will work alongside project teams and the supply chain, delivering communications for maintenance and major improvement projects on our network, focussing on communications, engagement and consultation activity to support projects and raise Highways England's profile and reputation with customers and stakeholders in the region. The role will involve travel within the region to deliver public engagement events or attend meetings with the supply chain or regional partners.
You will also support the Senior Regional Communications Manager, providing trusted communications and public relations advice to regional directors and other senior leaders. You will also provide occasional support to other Highways England regions to help with cover during holidays etc.
This is a challenging and fulfilling role that will take your career to the next level.
What you'll be leading on
To be successful you will have
- The delivery consultation and engagement campaigns to facilitate two way dialogue with customers to inform the design of major road maintenance and improvement proposals.
- You will be leading on communications activity to support Highways England construction activity so that customers understand why roadworks are necessary and the benefits.
- Work with Highways England's supply chain and specialist communications team such as Press & PR, Insight, Digital, Public Affairs and Creative Design to co-ordinate, develop and deliver integrated campaigns.
- Leading on the development of external regional communications campaigns to support change management activity or influence driver behaviour.
- Measuring and reporting on the success of campaigns and providing recommendations to the Leadership team on future improvements for both outcomes and investments
A bit about us
- Demonstrable experience as a communications professional in a complex environment.
- A proven track record of working with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience of leading communications to support customer engagement and consultation activity.
- Specialist communications knowledge and experience, underpinned by relevant professional qualifications or training
The Corporate Affairs and Communications Directorate is responsible for building and maintaining a robust and positive reputation for Highways England with all its audiences, internal and external. The Directorate includes a full range of communications disciplines which provide support to the business including media relations, public relations, stakeholder engagement, creative, digital, marketing and internal communications.
Interviews are scheduled to take mid February 2021.Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We're proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit for our organisation
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.