MRO Manager (Machining, Repair and Overhaul)
Location: Devonport, Plymouth
Business Unit: Base Services
About the role
The Factory Group's purpose is to provide shop services to Devonport based ship and submarine projects, Fleet Time vessels and the wider Dockyard infrastructure. The Factory Group is a critical enabler in allowing the successful delivery of Refits, Deep Maintenance Periods (DMPs), & Fleet Time Support at Devonport.
This role heads up a major section of the Factory Group and thus is responsible for delivery to programme but is also responsible for developing and implementing a continued improvement programme for their section.
What do I need to do the role?
As the MRO (Machining, repair and overhaul) Manager you will report to the factory Group Manager and be responsible for delivering (to time, cost and quality) all the operations which fall under the main mechanical Factory section. This includes Machining Operations and Repair & Overhaul of valves, pumps and motors.
The MRO Manager will also be responsible for developing and implementing a continuous improvement programme which enables the section to be "Fit for the Future", including development of investment strategies, introduction of new technologies and introduction of leaner processes.
* To Manage and develop the business of the Main Mechanical Factory in order to provide timely and cost effective use of all resources to meet production operations and contribute to Company profitability.
* Monitor, assesses and control production commitments ensuring that corporate profitability and quality objectives are achieved within the available resources, approved budgets and timescales.
* Establish in conjunction with the Factories Group Manager, responsibilities to achieve effective performance of managers and staff. Communicating such management structures effectively to all Managers and Staff.
* Manage the technical aspects of the MRO providing advice and guidance on engineering and quality standards to staff in order that contractual and technical requirements are achieved.
* Monitor, asses, control and reviewing production and overhead expenditure within agreed limits of authority to ensure that resource operating costs are within budgets, unit costs are minimised and profitability maximised.
* Review the requirements for fixed assets and specialised equipment in order to obtain investment to enhance facilities for new work and methods of working.
* To develop processes and procedures to ensure effective control of activities including planning and production control, specialist safety matters, security quality management and training.
What else do I need to know?
Relevant experience within a production (or project) environment, and proven management experience.
* Leadership background essential to include the ability to work as part of a multidiscipline engineering team.
* Experience in an electrical or mechanical engineering background.
* Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise effectively and deliver in a complex environment.
* Effective Leadership, interpersonal and communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to positively influence and work collaboratively with all levels of an organisation.
* Proactive approach with a Strong capability for problem solving
* Experience of improving production operations, delivery reliability, productivity and quality.
* Ability to implement and drive KPI's
* Competent mentoring direct reports to improve their leadership skill sets and overall effectiveness, driving responsibility and accountability.
* A continuous improvement mentality with formal knowledge and use of CI tools.
HNC (Engineering) or Demonstrable experience in a similar role.
This position is within the Base Services business unit as a PC with DRDL Terms and Conditions.
Babcock offers a supportive environment including: enhanced employment terms and conditions, money purchase pension scheme with life assurance, share ownership scheme, occupational health services, flexible working hours (only non-industrials), career opportunities and specialist advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams. Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts.
This role is based at Devonport Royal Dockyard which is located in the vibrant city of Plymouth, Devon in the south west of England. Plymouth is a city with a long and proud military history and more than its fair share of heritage. There is something for everyone here; from a superb coastline if you are a water sports enthusiast or Dartmoor National Park if you enjoy hiking and climbing, or simply enjoy the fantastic scenery. For a great night out we have the historic Barbican area with its wide variety of bars, clubs and restaurants