For us, developers are not people who sit in a room somewhere churning out code.
As an engineering manager in Systems Design and Engineering team (SD&E), we need you to lead, guide, plan, explain, working alongside clients cracking problems with a mix of your exceptional technical expertise and innovative thinking. It's how we differentiate ourselves from the competition and make a difference to our clients.
SD&E London sits within our Business Operations portfolio, which is one of five portfolios in our consulting practice. Business Operations
Want to work with the latest technologies, as part of a team helping international organisations transform their core business capabilities? Whether you're working with on-premise systems, Cloud technology, or custom-developed solutions (to name just a few), your expertise will help clients deliver continuous improvement and innovation, from initial design right through to implementation and optimization.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us. Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
You will get involved in driving the engineering strategy within SD&E, and drive developer excellence, as a highly technical and inspirational people leader and build motivated inclusive teams. There are no limits here, for your creativity and vision.
We are looking for you to engage with the tech community - both internally and externally, be a subject matter expert in delivery, and help to shape our opinions on new technology and spearhead POCs.
You'll be working on some amazing projects for our clients, making a real difference every single day. Here are just a few examples of projects we are working on right now, you could get involved in:
- You could be an engineering guild lead or technical expert across multiple teams on a greenfield solution for a government client, selecting the latest technology and knowing that your teams output is making a difference to our country.
- Or you could be the technology workstream lead for over 60 technologists, working on helping one of the UKs largest high streets bank to build a new digital proposition to compete in a digital banking era
- Or you could be a subject matter expert and evangelist, on devops and agile delivery, guiding one of our automotive clients to improve their ways of working, designing for and guiding your teams through a cutting edge CI/CD approach and helping them to move from monthly releases to hourly deployments.
Our SD&E team charter is built on our shared passion across 4 areas; Engineer, Inspire, Contribute, Lead. So, whilst we celebrate the technology experience our team bring to the table, we celebrate our passion for development more, these will resonate with you:
- We are technology enthusiasts at heart. We love all things related to engineering and adopting new and exciting technologies
- We are obsessed with connecting with, inspiring, and educating developers
- We share our ideas and opinions through blogs and other content
- We are always learning and attending technology events, and we are excited to get the opportunity to step up to be a speaker
- We drive community management and grow measurable awareness and engagement across a range of technology stacks
If you share in this enthusiasm, we would love for you to join our team, get in touch so we can talk more on what you are passionate about. Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: You will be based in a Deloitte London office, however travel will be required for client based projects. Whilst some clients are London based, we do spend time on site with regional and international clients. We specify full mobility for our consulting roles but we make arrangements respectfully, there may be some opportunity for working from home depending on client demands.
This is a permanent contract opportunity. Although, our team members work a variety of agile working patterns. Tell us what arrangement works for you and we'll try to accommodate. Your professional experience
Your technical experience must include some of:
- Experience in setting measurable goals and using metrics to analyse and improve the effectiveness of teams
- Experience in managing multiple technical teams and holding accountability for their success
- Experience in modern software development methodologies such as Scrum or Kanban
- Experience in JVM language (Java/Scala/Kotlin, preferably Java 8+)
- Experience in micro-service development tooling such as Spring Boot
- Experience with container tooling such as Docker
- Experience with container orchestration tooling such as Kubernetes
- Experience in other server-side languages such as NodeJS, Python, and/or PHP
- Experience with DevOps
- Experience with creating responsive design, Performance tuning, Automated Build and deployment
- Understanding of relational and no-SQL databases and experience in database design
- Understanding of security frameworks (JAAS, Spring Security, SSL, TLS, HTTPS, etc.)
- Understanding of modern Java build tools such as Maven or Gradle
- Understanding of distributed systems and cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
- Understanding of data streaming and processing frameworks (Kafka, Spark, etc.)
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix environments
Your service line: Consulting
- Experience implementing large-scale custom development integration projects
- Demonstrated understanding of tool based modernization, including code analysis, code conversion and automated testing tools
- A strong desire to work hands-on with application code and perform deep levels of analysis to troubleshoot outcomes and recommend resolution
Our people and the way we work are the two things that set us apart in the consulting universe. For us, collaboration is fundamental to success, along with an unrivalled depth and breadth of expertise. We work closely with our clients and each other, at every stage of every project, solving our clients' trickiest problems with a mix of knowledge, creativity and intellectual rigour. A hugely diverse range of clients rely on us to deliver the kind of change that adds genuine, lasting value to their business. Personal independence
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world. Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people. What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It's how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most. Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work - and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we're looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
WPFULL; RTWPROG SLCONS BABSOP; CFTECH
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.
© 2020 Deloitte LLP. All rights reserved.
Requisition code: 179424