This role sits within the Corporation Finance team, which is responsible for:
What is the role doing
- The financial well-being of the company through effective budgeting, forecasting monitoring and reporting of all corporation finances.
- Production of high quality monthly management accounts for budget holders
- Managing and delivery of specific key external publications relevant to the Corporation such as CARA, the FFRF and Master Trust Submissions.
Experience and technical skills
- Assist in the production of the Corporation's financial statements and production of schedules for the external auditors
- Ensuring financial controls are maintained across the Corporation both actively through defining and embedding strong governance and robust processes and through detection controls mainly through SoFP reconciliations.
- Run the monthly Private Finance Initiative (PFI) accounting model and scheme asset registers
- Management of the accounts payable function, including line management of the Accounts Payable Assistant.
- Assist with the presenting to AC and gaining Board approval
- Ensure accurate completion of annual corporation tax returns, and timely submission.
- Maintenance of the financial delegation matrix, ensuring it is reflecting any changes in a timely manner and that the purchase order and business case systems accurately reflect the delegations in place.
- Maintenance of roles and responsibilities in our accounting system including periodic user access reviews.
- Support the relationship with our banking provider including maintenance of bank signatories, faster payment and CHAPs authorisers and similar with our BACS systems. This will include periodic user access reviews.
- Ensure documentation of processes is up to date and made available to auditors and management when required..
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following experience and technical skills:
- Previous experience of working in a financial accounting, and an understanding statutory accounts, FREM and IFRS.
- Strong problem-solving skills, a forward thinker for detecting issues.
- Very strong numerical skills and excel modelling.
- A track record of embedding financial controls within the business.
- Experience of working with financial models using advanced level MS Excel
- Experience of working with SAGE 200 (desirable but not essential)
- Strong analytical skills with an attention to detail
- A understanding of public sector financial controls and processes
Personal attributes required
The role will require someone with the following personal attributes:
Education, qualification and professional membership requirements
- An ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders in a clear manner
- A proactive individual who is able to work on own initiative and who relishes new challenges.
- An ability to work in a start up or rapidly changing environment.
- A positive attitude for difficult problems and a drive secure a successful outcome to them.
- Attention to detail, organisational and time management skills.
- Teamwork - Finance is a small team covering all of an entity's finance functions, so the ability to work together and help the wider team is very important. This also covers the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues outside Finance.
- A strong advocate of strong financial governance and processes
- Degree qualified or equivalent
- Full accountancy qualification is required (e.g. ACA, CIMA, ACCA, CIPFA, etc.).
McGregor Boyall is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on any grounds.