Your new role
Our Commercial Delivery Major Project teams are growing, we're now hiring Commercial Managers to drive and assure post contract management of some of the most ambitious, complex and significant infrastructure projects in the country over the next five years and beyond!
We're flexible on how and where you do this role from - we welcome interest on a full time or part hours considered basis, working from a variety of Highways England offices. We're looking for a flexible attitude to travel as you may be required to attend meetings at other Highways England and supplier sites as required.
Reporting to the Regional Commercial Team Leader you will play a key role in partnering with projects teams to deliver a quality approach to a variety of commercial and procurement activities within a multi-million pound Major Project programme. Using your commercial expertise, you will engage effectively with project teams and suppliers acting as a source of authoritative advice on contract administration, cost capture and analysis to improve performance across a number of high value infrastructure schemes changing the face of the strategic road network.
Apply now to join a growing commercial team supporting a focused and dynamic delivery organisation that is set to change the productive face of highways construction, and positively influence the infrastructure market over the next 30 years!
What you'll be leading on
• Providing commercial support on specific projects across a range of activities, aiding decision making on commercial efficiencies, acting as a source of authoritative advice on contract administration, cost capture, analysis, performance, related intelligence and opportunities for performance improvement.
• Leading and developing regional team to deliver to challenging targets and a consistent and high quality approach to commercial and procurement strategy, investment decisions, scheme budget management, commercial management, contract administration, commercial dispute management and commercial performance management.
• Providing commercial & procurement advice, identifying needs, understanding priorities and potential threats to success of the scheme, supporting mitigation in order to support better delivery.
• Providing commercial information to Project managers to empower then to hold suppliers to account against tender promises and contractual obligations. Collecting robust, consistent and objective data, and identifying trends and variances from data sets in order to undertake analysis to advise stakeholders on action to take to support efficient and compliant delivery.
• Supporting the development of a thorough and ongoing knowledge resource of cost trends by sharing best practice with colleagues to share learnings to achieve a consistent approach for the organisation.
To be successful
• You will have demonstrable post qualification experience within a commercial function, in a relevant industry such as Infrastructure, Civil Engineering or Utilities
• You will have demonstrable knowledge of NEC forms of contract, including experience of tendering and procurement using NEC forms of contract
• You will have demonstrable experience of optimising value for money outcomes
• You will have experience of cost drivers in an infrastructure environment, using cost capture, analysis and interpretation to drive continuous improvement an efficiencies across all project stages
• You will have demonstrable experience of holding suppliers to account to deliver their scope of service
• You will be able to demonstrate practical influencing skills, both internally and externally, to optimise commercial interests
•You will be working towards member level of a professional organisation such as RICS, ICES, CIPS or equivalent
Closing date: Sunday 24th January 2021.
Interviews are expected to take place week commencing 08th February 2021.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We are proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better, and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit here in Highways England.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.