Your new role
Reporting directly to the Head of Contract Development and Assurance you will lead on shaping the strategy for commercial and procurement contract development across multiple directorates within Highways England including Operations, Major Projects and IT.
In this role you will drive the strategic development of new and existing procurement contract models to acquire suppliers. You will lead the provision of specialist contractual and legal guidance to internal stakeholders to ensure procurement contract models not only comply with government frameworks and UK/EU legislation, but to ensure procurement drives innovation and best practice. You will also manage a team of 5-6 direct reports, with oversight of multiple teams in a programmed environment.
As a flexible working organisation we are able to offer this role as full time (part time hours considered) from any of the following Highways England offices: Woodlands Bedford, The Cube Birmingham and Temple Quay House Bristol.
This is a challenging role in a growing organisation, as well as professional development we offer the opportunity to strategically lead an integral procurement activity that directly impacts Highways England imperatives. If you want to be part of the team that is helping to procure the country's largest ever roads investment programme, then we want to hear from you!
What you'll be leading on
* Lead and manage multiple strategic programmes of work, drive and control contract development to enable delivery of Highways England business objectives, ensuring compliance with organisational and government procurement policy.
* Lead, manage and control internal stakeholder teams and external contract and procurement specialists in the development, production and management of a suite of strategic model contract documents for Highways England that reflect business needs and enable the delivery of future programmes of work.
* Financial control and management at a team level of a budget for the provision of external legal, procurement and technical advice, ensuring compliance to corporate and procurement governance, delivering value for money.
* To lead on providing specialist advice and guidance for staff and key stakeholders across multiple strategic programmes on the legal and policy framework for public sector procurement to support best practice in policy and processes that are compliant with government policy and UK and English legislation and EU legislation; and reputational risk, addressing conflicting priorities and managing stakeholder expectations.
* Lead and be the focal point for the business for providing procurement and contract technical advice and governance through:
To be successful
* A track record of translating organisational strategy into procurement contracts that support achievement of business objectives
* In-depth understanding of public procurement law and contract law
* A track record of delivering procurement and commercial services at a senior level in an infrastructure environment
* A track-record in contract drafting and development work (preferably within an infrastructure environment, with knowledge of a wide range of contract types and forms and their application to business need) and/or leading major procurement exercises (inviting/selecting tenders, managing contracts) and/or supplier selection
* A track record in influencing and working successfully in effective collaborative working partnerships with a wide range of internal and external stake-holders and customers
* Demonstrable experience in successfully managing and developing teams, and leading and coordinating multiple teams in a programmed environment.
It would be nice for you to have
* Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) Diploma in Procurement and Supply qualification.
Want to know more?
We encourage all interested candidates to contact Suzi Fox at People Scout ( / ) to discuss this role further prior to submitting your application and to also receive a copy of the job profile which contains further information.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We're proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.