J. Barbour & Sons Ltd founded in 1894 is a British lifestyle brand, home to the iconic wax jacket we design, manufacture and market stylish functional clothing and footwear for men, women and children inspired by the unique values of the British countryside. We are the proud holder of three Royal warrants, most recently we have celebrated our 125 years and remain true to our core values as a fifth-generation family business. Barbour is sold in over 40 countries worldwide, including Europe, the US and Japan but we have our headquarters and roots firmly located in the North East of England.
We are currently recruiting for a newly qualified Management Accountant to join our Finance Team based at Barbour House, South Shields. This role is integral to the Finance Team and is a mix of hands-on detail and system orientated work over month-end close, combined with variance analysis, problem solving, process improvement and reengineering. With interaction with senior management across the group, this will be a highly visible role and one in which communication and trust are critical success factors. The role will cover multiple divisions and currencies, working closely with internal and external partners to deliver timely and accurate monthly accounts. The ideal candidate will be a proactive individual with experience of using ERP systems and multiple reporting platforms.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Primary contributor toward the monthly management accounts for both Barbour Inc. (North America) and J Barbour & Sons (UK) businesses.
* Deliver regular, accurate and timely monthly reporting across overheads to all budget owners.
* Identify and proactively deliver improvements to reporting, accuracy and processes across the management accounting space.
* Assist in the preparation of annual budgets and re-forecasts.
* Monthly variance analysis, commentary, constructive challenge to identify areas of overspend or cost leakage to business.
* Balance sheet reconciliations
* Liaise with auditors during annual audit process.
* Undertake any other reasonable activity, as may be required by senior management.
Skills and Experience:
* A recognised accountancy qualification (ACCA, CIMA, ACA)
* Bachelor's degree, 2:1 or above.
* Strong Excel skills.
* Strong ERP / system / reporting tools skills.
* Right first-time attitude and high level of accuracy.
* Able to work under pressure to deadlines.
* Prioritising and organising own workload - working autonomously.
* Proactive approach to continuous improvement and problem solving.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills to build strong relationships across business functions.
* Ability to adapt communication approach to audience regardless of level in the organisation.
* Month-end close and balance sheet reconciliation experience.
* P&L and Balance sheet accounting understanding and precision.
* Operational discipline to hit reporting and process deadlines.
* Desire and capacity to understand underlying business processes and interrogate system and accounting entries to ensure consistency and compliance in delivered.
* Discretionary Company bonus scheme
* Staff discount
* Staff shop
* Healthcare cash plan
* 25 days holiday as standard increasing with length of service plus bank holidays
* Free onsite parking
* Subsidised canteen