Are you seeking an exciting and dynamic challenge for 2021? If so, we have the perfect opportunity for you!
We are looking to appoint a high quality, visionary and strategic leader as Chair of the Board from spring 2021. The Chair will take over from outgoing Chairman, Mick May OBE, who is leaving the Board in August 2021 and provide the Board, Principal and executive team with the vision, guidance and challenge that it needs to drive KAA forwards.
The ideal candidate will need to be an exceptional stakeholder manager, with the impact, nous and experience to achieve the buy-in of a Board consisting of high-achieving individuals from the world of business, academia and the third sector. Chair experience is not essential, but they must have the board experience to understand strong governance, and the people skills and vision to guide the Board and the executive team, which is led by Principal, David Benson.
KAA is moving into an exciting new chapter in its evolution and so experience of leading an organisation through significant change is important. KAA values its relationships with a huge range of partners and different stakeholders so the Chair will need to offer the skills and experience to engage, empower and entrust stakeholders of all levels.
Education experience is not necessary, but the successful candidate must have a passion for tackling educational disadvantage and be personally aligned with the mission and values of the school.
What you offer
- Alongside the Board, hold the Principal and senior leadership team (SLT) to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and for the performance management of staff
- Set the culture of the Governing Board, providing exemplary practice, but act as a "first among equals" - recognizing that the collective Board makes decisions rather than individuals
- Ensure the oversight of the financial performance of the school, and the effective use of the school's resources
- Have a clear understanding of the Chair's role and responsibilities - in particular, accountability - and the difference between strategic and operational decision-making
- Ensure that there is effective and regular communication within the Governing Board, and that meetings are well chaired and organised so that everyone can contribute and be heard
- Work collaboratively as part of the network of Aldridge Education Chairs of Governors (CoGs), benefiting from their professional expertise and training opportunities, and supporting broader development goals
- Proactively maintain a good relationship between both the Sponsor and Co-Sponsor, Governors, the Principal and the SLT, and exemplify this effective relationship
- Foster a culture of self-evaluation and review among the Governing Board
- Communicate and build a rapport with external stakeholders, authorities, organisations and other schools - acting as a reliable ambassador and valued point of contact
- Ensure that the school is engaged with parents and the wider community, and represents its interests
- Ensure that the Board is aware of, and prepared for, formal external scrutiny, and provide strategic leadership to the Board during periods of scrutiny
What KAA offers
The successful candidate will be joining a team that is firmly committed to making KAA one of the best academies in the UK.
Kensington Aldridge Academy (KAA) is a flagship West London academy which serves a community of 1,250 students aged 11-18. Although the school's immediate area is one of recognised disadvantage, with two thirds of students qualifying for Pupil Premium, it is located only a few hundred yards from some of the wealthiest households in the UK. KAA has earned the respect and admiration of the community in which it is rooted, and is proud of its diverse student body and the work it does transforming so many lives.
Full details about KAA's achievement and context are include the candidate pack attached.
Terms of Appointment
This role is unremunerated, but reasonable, pre-agreed travel expenses will be reimbursed. The appointment is for an initial four-year term, which may be renewed at the discretion of the Board.
Deadline for applications is midnight on 26th November 2020. If you have any questions about the role or the application process please contact our HR Manager, Alice Olive, at firstname.lastname@example.org.