About Network Rail
Network Rail is dedicated to becoming one of Britains best employers and believe this starts with
placing the people at the centre of everything we do!
Our vision is to be
- on the side of passengers and freight users
- easy to engage with, an efficient and dependable partner
- proud to work for Network Rail
- an instinctive industry leader
and were empowered to do the right thing for the passengers and freight users who use the rail network to make this happen.
We actively challenge unsafe practices and take responsibility for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
We care about people and were passionate about great service. We believe teamwork is key. For more information about Network Rail click here Brief Description
The System Operator functions purpose is to make the railway more than the sum of its parts . We lead on network-wide long-term planning and integration, capacity and timetable planning, as well as capacity and access related regulatory issues within the company.
Working with the funders and operators of the railway, including governments, regions and train operators, we bring together timetables, network and industry strategies and plans underpinned by expert analysis. We do this in a collaborative, pragmatic and evidence-based way built on sound knowledge and capability in order that passengers, freight users and society benefit more from a network that is greater than the sum of its parts. About the role (External) Key Accountabilities
We are looking for an exceptional candidate to lead the development and delivery of our Timetable Technical Strategy Programmes.
We want an experienced professional who can
Do you have the following skills, experiences and qualifications?
- Provide strong and credible leadership across the industry for this critical technology-based change programme
- direct and deliver the Timetable technology capital investment programme, taking personal accountability for the outcomes of the programme and the realisation of their benefits for passengers and freight users
- own the programme vision, maintaining alignment to the wider System Operator and Network Rail business objectives and outputs, and developing and delivering a plan to achieve the vision.
- lead programme governance arrangements to make sure we comply with appropriate requirements and quality
- develop and maintain the strategic case and relevant programme business cases which support the investment
- lead the interface and engagement with executive stakeholders and manage effective interfaces and communications with all stakeholders.
- Identify and manage mitigations for the key strategic risks facing the delivery of the programmes
- lead the associated cross-industry change workstreams and make any necessary adjustments to programme deliverables to maximise the benefits
- commission and chair reviews both during the programme delivery lifecycle and following programme closure that formally assess the programmes continued alignment with its business case, objectives, capability of delivery and measurable achievement of wider benefits.
- manage and support the team of programme managers and technical experts to deliver successfully.
The essential criteria required for this role, against which all candidates will be assessed, are as follows:
We are also looking for the following desirable attributes:
- Extensive experience in a senior management role associated with the development and delivery of a technology driven change
- Experience of delivering complex, strategic change programmes involving multiple organisations and stakeholder relationships
- Accountability for a multi-million annual budget
- Outstanding leadership, interpersonal and communication skills
- Sufficient seniority and credibility to direct project and programme managers and give them advice and guidance in their projects
- Strong commercial focus and financially astute
- Formal Programme Management qualification (e.g. Leading Successful Programmes Practitioner)
- Knowledge / Experience of the rail industry, or technology-based industry
- Knowledge/ Experience of IT projects inside or outside the rail industry
- Educated to degree level
How to apply (External)
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factors. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour
is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment to safety in their application.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career
with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets costing up to 3,333 (to a maximum amount of 2,250).
Network Rail positively embraces flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life.
Network Rail adheres to a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range: 107,428 - 127, 890
As an arms length department of the UK Government, Network Rail is required to comply with a well-established pre-employment vetting process for all prospective employees.
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) checks require prospective employees of Network Rail to meet the following requirements;
- Provide eligibility to work in the UK and identity documentation
- Complete a satisfactory 3 year employment history check
- Complete a satisfactory unspent criminal conviction disclosure check
For more information regarding BPSS pre-employment related checks, please visit the UK Government website for further information - UK Government - BPSS Checks Closing date: 10 th December 2020
, late applications will not be accepted. We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.
It is a requirement of the role to live within 90 minutes commuting time of The Quadrant, Milton Keynes.