SPEECH AND LANGUAGE THERAPY ASSISTANT
£19,749 - £21,804 (Actual Term time only salary. FTE £22,183 - £24,491)
37.5 hours per week. Term time only.
Bradstow is a creative and unique residential school for children between the ages of 5 & 19. It is situated in 13 acres of parkland in Broadstairs, Kent. We seek to meet the needs of children and young people with autism and severe learning difficulties with associated behaviours that may be challenging using a Gentle Teaching approach and engaging in reflective practice. We have achieved national recognition for our developments in Communication and Behaviour Management and Children's Rights.
We have been awarded the Gold standard for the Investors in People accreditation and can offer a vibrant, life-long career.
* Delivering interventions assessed to be appropriate by the Speech and Language Therapist.
* Delivering training to parents/carers, staff and other relevant parties.
* Supporting the team in the production of resources and materials that support individual communication needs and the total communication approach used at Bradstow School.
* Creating, organising, delivering and monitoring all Makaton signing training to staff (including signing workshops to parents). Including monitoring of staff performance on a regular basis and providing input at induction programmes.
* Assisting in the assessment of young people including keeping comprehensive records of observations and assessments in accordance local, professional, organisational and National guidelines.
* Implementing individual and group interventions within the programme, making modifications and using own initiative as necessary to suit the young person's needs whilst having due regard for cultural and linguistic differences and modes of communication including signs and symbols.
* Liaising with teaching and care staff to support functional communication and Speech and language programs and interventions while they work with students, supporting delivery of the 24 hour curriculum.
* Adhering to HCPC regulations and RCSLT Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct for Speech and Language Therapy Assistants.
* Engaging in support and supervision sessions to reflect on practice enhancing communication and quality of service.
We are looking for a member of staff to work 37.5 hours per week Monday - Friday, with some evening, weekend and bank holiday working required. This role is term time only and you will be required to commit to working an additional two weeks during the school holidays if required, for which additional payment will be made.
For all posts we look for candidates who are mature, warm, creative and open to learning with a patient and caring attitude to deal sensitively with vulnerable children.
We offer a generous salary and benefits including:
* Highly competitive Local Government Pension Scheme
* Employee Rewards High Street Discount Scheme
* Private medical insurance
* Investors In People Gold Accredited employer
* Fantastic training and development opportunities
* Thorough induction process
* Strong health and well-being focus
* Free meals with our young people
* Term time working
The selection process for this post will comprise of an interview and short literacy test.
Interviews with external candidates may be carried out remotely using Skype / Microsoft Teams.
Closing date: Friday 11th December 2020 at 4pm
Interviews: Late December 2020/Early January 2021
We look forward to hearing from you