School: School of The Built Environment and Architecture
Job Title/Grade: Apprenticeships Skills Reviewer (Civil and Building Services Engineering)
Reporting to: Head of Division: Civil and Building Services Engineering
Purposes of the post :
The School of the Built Environment and Architecture (BEA) offers some of London's best courses in areas such as architecture, building services engineering, civil engineering, construction management, quantity surveying and building surveying.
All our courses are closely linked with industry and accredited by the relevant professional institutions to the highest possible level. Our apprenticeship offer is rapidly expanding and we are seeking passionate and driven part-time hours Skills Coaches who are committed to working with our academics and industry partners to develop the best Higher and Degree Apprenticeships in the sector.
This particular part-time hours post will sit within the division of Civil and Building Services Engineering, specifically within Building Services Engineering.
The role holder will liaise with employers to support the negotiation of the apprentice's learning needs in the workplace, and work with academics to provide coaching and support to develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours they will need to successfully complete their apprenticeship. Progress review meetings with each apprentice will be undertaken each quarter for the duration of their programme, often at the apprentice's workplace so you will need to be mobile and flexible.
The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator with extensive sector or subject knowledge, industry experience, as well as an understanding of professional development and work based learning. They will be comfortable working independently and will have excellent organisational and time management skills. Main activities and responsibilities
1. Work alongside both the Apprenticeship Office and School academics to provide proactive and reactive vocational and educational support to apprentices throughout the apprenticeship scheme.
2. Monitor apprentice progression against knowledge, skills and behaviour standards (as well as functional skills where appropriate) and provide feedback to both the apprentice and their line manager / mentor.
3. Undertake regular progress review meetings with apprentices and mentors as required. These meetings will either take place at the apprentice's workplace; the University; or via video call.
4. Work with academic colleagues to support the agreement of on and off job development plans with the apprentices and monitor and record progress to ensure that both the University and employer remain compliant.
5. Work with the Apprenticeship Office and Teaching, Quality and Enhancement team to ensure all quality assurance requirements relevant to the educational support of an apprentice are being met.
6. Ensure that all learning activity is recorded and auditable in line with funding regulations and that any University delivery, process and monitoring systems are adhered to within the agreed time limits.
7. Contribute to the development of appropriate programme systems and processes.
8. Complete any required learning and development activities required to enhance your knowledge and perform the role more effectively.
9. Ensure that procedures for access to, and retention of, information within the School comply with the requirements of the University and the General Data Protection Regulation.
Selection Criteria E = Essential, D = Desirable
A. An engineering qualification related to the built environment (E), preferably in building services (D). A qualification in other engineering disciplines (e.g. mechanical and/or electrical-electronic) would be considered. Industry experience and/or professional qualifications relating to the apprenticeship discipline (D). TAQA assessors award or equivalent (D).
B. An understanding of the end-to-end learning journey of an apprentice (D).
C. Experience of delivering work based learning and assessment in commercial or educational contexts which are relevant to the subject area (D).
D. Experience of coaching or mentoring (D). E. Excellent communication skills and the ability to build customer / client relationships and maintain empathy with stakeholders (E).
F. Experience of working autonomously and managing own workload efficiently and effectively (E).
G. Ability to work as part of a wider team (E).
H. Excellent time management and organisational skills (E).
I. Experience with e-Learning platforms (D) and an excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office packages, including the ability to produce reports (E).
J. Ability to demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, equality and diversity, and its practical application (E)