We're committed to creating better places for everyone. We take pride in making a difference, but also in being the difference: for the communities, we serve, whatever the challenge, whatever the weather. By designing and consulting, building and maintaining, managing and investing in our country's services and infrastructures we create better places to live, work and travel.
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You're surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There'll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You'll be stretched but always supported. To bring out the better in you. To shine as a better team player or self-starter. To help you commit to better each day, delivering whatever steps it takes, great or small, to create better places for
We believe that we are what we do.
It's more than just wanting to do better.
At Amey we're proud to be the better
What is the purpose of this role?
We have a role that has become available to be part of our Sheffield PFI team. Amey operates the Streets Ahead highways maintenance and management service across Sheffield, which is one of the UK's largest local government highways partnerships. The Principal Operations Manager for Non-Core Services is responsible for managing 4 areas: a) Business Development, b) P&L, c) Construction and d) Business Support
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team for Streets Ahead, the Principal Operations Manager - Non-Core Services will be accountable for successfully securing and delivering a programme of projects to meet annual budgetary targets for turnover and margin.
This role will have a primary focus on business development and the strategic approach to find new business opportunities, managing a business support team to do this.
Responsible for leading the Non-Core Services Section - with direct line management responsibility for up to 6 staff.
What will this role involve?
The Principal Operations Manager - Non-Core Services will be responsible for managing the Non-Core Services for Streets Ahead. Key delivery areas for this role include:
Leading Non-Core Services Activity
* Leading Non-Core business development and business management activity
* Leading and developing an in excess of £13 million annual business by 2023.
* Identify and own key opportunities within the programme and make resources available to secure work against these.
* Communicate market intelligence and suspects/opportunities identified as a result of the business development team.
* Support New Business Director teams and bid director with customer relationship management to identify new opportunities and service streams in accordance with market strategy plan.
* Input and have overview of the commercial processes
* Accountable for construction management activity
* Leading strategic and programme development activity for all areas of work undertaken by Non-Core Services - including working with Quality & Improvement colleagues on the development of improvement projects and business cases
* Communicate market intelligence and suspects/opportunities identified as a result of the business development team. Section Management / Member of the Senior Leadership Team
* Act as direct line manager for up to 6 managers and as head of the Non-Core Services Section. Lead on staff development and people management for the Non-Core Services Section.
* Accountable for the development, planning, management, delivery / implementation and monitoring of the strategic programme for Non-Core Services - including identifying and implementing means of achieving improvement / more effective use of resources.
* Accountable for driving forward a cultural change of being answerable to performance, financial, risk and quality management of the Non-Core Services Section - including supply and contract management.
* Act as a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) for Streets Ahead - including working collaboratively with other members of the SLT to enable business goals to be achieved.
* Produce / co-produce strategies, plans, reports, briefings, presentations and other documents for a range of internal and external stakeholders - including the Account Director and other senior stakeholders.
* Lead on stakeholder and relationship management for Non-Core Services - including working collaboratively with the Principal Communications and Engagement Manager
* Promote and develop a culture of evidence-based continuous improvement, service development and performance management - particularly through engagement and involvement of staff at all levels.
What are we looking for?
To be successful as Principal Operations Manager you will be currently working in a similar position
You will be good at problem solving, have commercial awareness, be excellent in planning and organising, as well as having good all-round planning experience.
* Degree-level qualification in a relevant subject and / or equivalent experience
Skills / Knowledge / Technical Competencie
* Business development / bid writing skills
* Excellent client relationship management skills
What makes this role unique?
You will typically be responsible for revenue of £10m to £29m and manage a headcount of 50 to 100 people