The post holder will have strategic lead responsibility for Democratic Services through:
• Supporting and promoting effective and efficient governance and compliance arrangements across the Council.
• Leading the management of democratic processes including elections and support to Committees, Council and Elected Members.
• Championing, promoting and embedding all aspects of good governance within the practice and conduct of Elected Members and Council officers.
The post holder will also be responsible for:
• Leading and embedding culture changes across the Council for their areas of responsibility.
• Ensuring directly delivered and commissioned services that enable the Council to carry out a range of corporate functions effectively and efficiently such as procurement and legal services and to achieve their intended impact and offer value for money.
• Ensuring effective and proportional governance arrangements are developed, monitored and reported on.
• Commissioning and leading corporate improvement programmes where needed to ensure the achievement of value for money, transparency and customer focus.
• Working directly with the Strategic Management Board ensuring the production of clear and meaningful performance management information that effectively monitors progress of delivery of the areas of responsibility under this post.
• Ensuring, on behalf of the Senior Information Risk Owner (SIRO), compliance with all information governance requirements, playing an active role on the Corporate Information Governance Group (CIGG) and liaising with the statutory Data Protection Officer (DPO).
• Ensuring the reporting of corporate complaints and reports from the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) to Elected Members as required.
• Provision of appropriate "scrutiny officer" support is to the Overview and Scrutiny Committee and Council officers supporting scrutiny reviews.
• Promoting and enforcing the highest standards of conduct across the organisation and taking appropriate action to resolve issues that arise, including invoking procedures for independent investigations.
• Ensuring that Elected Members and Council officers can access advice and guidance on complex matters relating to the Council's Constitution and decision-making procedure and good practice.
Person Specification/Selection Criteria
• Extensive knowledge and understanding of local government and of the areas of responsibility
• Current and in-depth knowledge of governance and related national policy and strategies.
• Extensive knowledge and commitment to quality customer focussed services and the benefits that flow from a corporate approach to service delivery and organisational growth
• In depth awareness, knowledge and adherence to Information Governance/Data Protection principles.
• Awareness and knowledge and commitment to Equality and Diversity and Health and Safety legislation and of safeguarding responsibilities.
• Experience of developing innovative policies that align with and support the corporate plan and strategies.
• Extensive experience of working collaboratively across all services, and with Elected Members and partners to develop strategically aligned and future focussed policies.
• Successful development of partnership and collaborative working, to enhance service delivery and maximise best value benefits
• Track record of managing conflict and complaints, informally and formally, using any lessons learned to drive forward organisational change and improvement
• Experience of managing commissioned and procured arrangements so they achieve business objectives and best value
• Track record of positively influencing and developing corporate culture and identity
• Experience of policy formation, implementation and tracking compliance.
Please apply below