Procurement Category Manager
Start Date: Around 10 December, 2 weeks off over holiday period expected and start back 4 January
* Lead the Housing and Property Category within the wider Procurement team for approximately 3-4 months during recruitment for a permanent replacement.
* Monitor and report on multiple projects including the Housing 2020 programme of multiple workstreams and the major Brixton Central regeneration
* Engage and advise stakeholders including directorate staff up to Strategic Director, partners and technical consultants to ensure robust procurement and sound governance
* Manage, support and advise a team of five undertaking the procurement processes for a variety of OJEU procurement processes and framework call offs
* Focus is on pre-procurement and tendering, contract management is carried out by a separate team
* Contribute to the wider management of the Procurement and Contract Management team including improvement projects
The post holder will:
* Play a key role in shaping and implementing the procurement strategy for the category with a focus on collaborative working and partnering.
* Lead a professional category team to plan tendering projects and to negotiate and deliver value for money contracts.
* Develop and deliver a programme for procurement that meets service timescales, facilitates the delivery of improved services, achieves value for money and is in keeping with the Council's priorities.
* Provide leadership, expert advice and implement procurement best practice to deliver tendering projects across the category.
* Implement modern contract and relationship management practices across the category, working with end users, colleagues and suppliers.
* Ensure that contract leads across the category are trained and suitably equipped to carry out their contract performance and supplier relationship management responsibilities in line with modern practices.
* To maintain an up to date and expert knowledge of changes in legislation and understanding their impact for both the category and council. Ensure that council procurement policies and procedures are understood and applied across the category and accordingly within Lambeth's governance arrangements.
* Working with relevant managers to improve the strategic relationships with partners, suppliers and others to achieve value for money throughout the contract life cycle.
* To quantify spending at category level of all goods and services, develop and implement a year over year cost saving programme. Use a category management approach to spend analysis.
* Develop and agree with the Head of Procurement an annual work programme for the category team, manage and monitor the programme and team performance. Set relevant objectives and targets to ensure the delivery of value for money services and review at 1 to 1 and appraisal meetings.
Educated to degree level and a professional procurement qualification e.g. CIPS
* Substantial knowledge of current policy issues affecting local authorities in relation to contract procurement
* Detailed knowledge of contract management, supplier relationships and monitoring processes, pricing and financial mechanisms, risk management techniques and contingency planning.
* Detailed knowledge and working experience of managing tendering processes and projects, pricing and financial mechanisms, risk management techniques and contingency planning.
* Substantial experience defining business needs and identifying principle demands and cost drivers for services
* Experience of procuring complex and business critical contracts and services within a public sector environment