Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Lead Scientists based in and around Berkshire to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also developing first-rate technical skills and setting your Scientific career up for future success.
You will be joining a supportive environment and will be provided with training and accreditation for the role and processes you are required to undertake.
If of interest and you meet the criteria of the below, please apply via the following link - https://34DZEaT.Your responsibilities:
As A Lead Scientist, you'll be using your specialist knowledge and skills to act with considerable autonomy in providing clinical advice on the investigation and interpretation of COVID-19 tests. As our Lead Scientist, you'll be reporting to the Clinical Lead and overseeing clinical requests for service development.
This position will be crucial in managing a team of laboratory staff and scientists, where you will set appropriate professional standards within the lab and that all services are delivered efficiently, and to the highest of standards.
From a R&D perspective, you will also initiate and direct scientific development, evaluation and research performed by scientific and technical staff in the department. You'll also be expected to present at professional regional or national meetings the results of original research, development and audit activity and to publish this work in reputable peer reviewed scientific journals.Your experience:
In order to be successful, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- MSc Biomedical Science / Medical Microbiology / Virology or Equivalent
- Higher qualification in relevant specialism, or equivalent extensive laboratory experience
- Recent evidence of Continuous Professional Development
- Substantial, broad and up to date relevant laboratory experience
- Experience of budget management
- Experience of recruitment processes
- Experience in training and supervising laboratory staff
- Appraisal/staff development experience
- Experience in using pathology computer systems
- Excellent leadership skills
- Fantastic multi-tasking skills, prioritisation skills and initiative
- Ability to work towards deadlines
- Good keyboard and computer skills
- Good coordination and dexterity
- Ability to cope in both stressful and pressured situations
- Staff training skills
- Good communicator
In addition, the following education and experience is also desirable but not mandatory:
- Management diploma, e.g. DMS
- Chartered Scientist status
- State Registration as a Biomedical Scientist (HCPC registered)
- Computer qualification (i.e. ECDL)
As well as a competitive rate of pay (with a 20% uplift applied for night working and end of contract bonus), you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
This role will work on a shift pattern and will include day, evening and weekend shifts. Please speak to our team to learn more.
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focussed on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today via https://34DZEaT.