If you're interested in becoming a Retail Team Leader and have the appetite to engage with visitors and boost our retail potential, then you could be the person for this job. What it's like to work here
Dunstable Downs is located within the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and marks the highest point in Bedfordshire. From the Chilterns Gateway Centre you can enjoy views across the Aylesbury Vale, this is one of many things that bring visitors to the Downs. Locally loved, visitors come in many varieties. Our main visitor groups include: families who bring their kites and picnics and spend the day playing and relaxing, daily dog walkers who not only enjoy the Downs but are welcome in our dog friendly cafe, people who come for the views while they enjoy the wildlife and walks along the ancient drove ways; many groups and individuals use the space to get fit by joining one of the groups such as the Nordic walkers, roll and stroll or park run and finally there are many well-known faces who regularly join us for a coffee or lunch in the view café.
We are passionate about creating a universally welcoming environment, we work with a range of partners to develop a more accessible offer for local communities so that everyone can access the countryside on their doorstep. Whatever your role at Dunstable Downs, your priority will be to make sure that every visitor has a brilliant experience. What you'll be doing
You'll be required to support the day to day management of the property retail operation so that it is commercially successful and consistently exceeds our visitors expectations. You'll monitor stock and merchandise products to achieve stretching financial targets, leading by example when it comes to maximising our profitability and income. You'll also supervise paid and voluntary retail staff and work effectively alongside colleagues elsewhere in the property to deliver great service to visitors, promoting and enhancing the property's sense of place.Please read the role profile attached for more information. Who we're looking for Applications from internal employees who are under notice of redundancy are assessed against the minimum criteria listed below. All other applicants may be assessed against other criteria in the advert and role profile.Any employees under notice of redundancy who meet the minimum criteria will progress to the next stage. In your application please provide details of how you meet the criteria for this role.
- Strong people management skills enabling good working relationships
- Able to demonstrate that you will lead for a culture of exceptional customer service, every time for everyone
- Able to promote products through merchandising and verbally to meet sales targets
- Good IT skills ideally with previous experience of stock ad sales systems
- Knowledge and application of health and safety compliance
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of working with volunteers with an understanding of what motivates volunteers
- Regular weekend and school holiday working on a rota essential
Benefits for working at the National Trust:
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free parking at most locations
- Discounts in high street stores, cinemas, National Trust properties and cafes.
- Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Subsidised health cash plan
- Free 24-hour support service
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Training & Development tailored to you
- Up to 5 days of paid volunteering for you.