Working in Retail is at the front line of raising the funds we need to deliver our cause, whilst delivering an exceptional service for our visitors. As well having an array of stunning product ranges, we partner with local craft artisans to support the sales of unique, local products which really capture the spirit of our special places. Directly interacting with all our customers that visit our shops, our retail teams are in a key position to inform our customers what amazing work we are doing as an organisation and where the money that is spent in our shops is being invested - whether this be investments in local projects or on funding our national strategy. What it's like to work here
Dunstable Downs is located within the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and marks the highest point in Bedfordshire. Comprising flower rich chalk grassland, deep sunken ways and grassy knolls, the Chilterns Gateway Centre gives spectacular views across the Aylesbury Vale. Locally loved, the Downs welcome visitors from many communities. These include families with kites and picnics, daily dog walkers and wildlife spotters. The wide open spaces are also used by many groups to get fit. These include Nordic walkers, park runners and a role and stroll group. The view café is a treat for many of our regulars.
We are passionate about creating a universally welcoming environment, we work with a range of partners to develop a more accessible offer for local communities so that everyone can access the countryside on their doorstep. Whatever your role at Dunstable Downs, your priority will be to make sure that every visitor has a brilliant experience. What you'll be doing
As a leader within the National Trust you will promote raise money through retail sales and promote our cause through your management of the shop and local products. Your job will be to lead your retail team to give the best customer experience every time. You will train our team to create enticing displays that will drive sales an make the most of locally sourced products that will promote a sense of place and authenticity to our gift shop products. You will also be a member of the wider property leadership team and have collective responsibility for maintaining and delivering duty management and compliance tasks.Please also read the full role profile, attached to the end of this advert. Who we're looking for Applications from internal employees who are under notice of redundancy are assessed against the minimum criteria listed below. All other applicants may be assessed against other criteria in the advert and role profile. Any employees under notice of redundancy who meet the minimum criteria will progress to the next stage. In your application please provide details of how you meet the criteria for this role.
- Excellent People Management skills including; coaching; team development; motivation and communication
- Able to demonstrate that you will lead for a culture of exceptional customer service, every time for everyone
- Ability to manage budgets including margins; maximise income and control costs including labour and waste
- Good IT skills including stock and sales systems and digital media
- Knowledge and application of health and safety compliance
- Good written and verbal Experience of working with volunteers with a good understanding of the different approaches needed to reward, recognise and motivate volunteer's communication skills
- Regular weekend and school holiday working on a rota essential
Benefits for working at the National Trust:
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free parking at most locations
- Discounts in high street stores, cinemas, National Trust properties and cafes.
- Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Subsidised health cash plan
- Free 24-hour support service
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Training & Development tailored to you
- Up to 5 days of paid volunteering for you.