About Network Rail
We at Network Rail are dedicated to becoming one of Britain's best employers and believe this starts with placing the candidate at the heart of everything we do!
Our ambition to be responsive to passengers and freight users, drives us every day and we're empowered to do the right thing for those who use the rail network. We actively challenge unsafe practices and take responsibility for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
We're passionate about great service and we ask ourselves, what can we do to put our passengers and freight users at the centre of everything we do? With this in mind, we pull together as one industry because we care about people and teamwork is key. For more information about Network Rail click here.
Scotland's Railway covers a large geographical area from the Borders to Thurso at the far tip of the North East of Scotland, accounting for almost 20 per cent of the UK rail network. We provide rapid access along busy commuter routes to our seven cities, servicing the varied needs of our business and leisure commuter services, including cross border services and rural services. We have up to 50 freight services operating every day and we are steadily building capacity for this to grow Brief Description
We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join the Scotlands Railway Sustainability team as an Environment Manager [Decarbonisation].
As an Environment Manager [Decarbonisation], you be a part of a small team providing expert support and guidance on all sustainability matters for Scotlands Railway, using your knowledge and experience to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions and support the delivery of Scotlands Railways developing sustainability plan. About the role (External) What to expect?
The Sustainability Team for Scotlands Railway are a new team, established within the Engineering & Asset Management community. The team are responsible for achieving sustainability objectives, including environmental compliance, circular economy, energy reduction and decarbonisation, biodiversity, weather resilience and climate change adaptation, and social value.Every single day, you'll be involved in activities such as:
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate the following:
- Overseeing data analysis and energy and carbon reporting requirements
- Developing Scotlands Railways decarbonisation plan
- Creating and monitoring the implementation of energy reduction plans, standards, procedures and systems
- Creating effective stakeholder relationships to drive forward the implementation of energy and carbon reduction interventions, in alignment with national and regional strategies
- Contributing to the development of sustainability policy and strategy
- Creating and monitoring energy and carbon reduction policies, specifications, procedures, work instructions and good practice guides
- Provide specialist advice and guidance on all aspects of energy reduction and decarbonisation and facilitate the implementation of strategies by line management, contractors and suppliers.
- Overseeing the implementation of Energy Management Systems and ensuring continued improvement in performance
- Delivering training of a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to upskill our workforce and supplier base to achieve decarbonisation goals
- liaising with stakeholders at all levels to achieve energy reduction objectives
Whilst it's not essential, we'd love it if you have:
- Passionate about sustainability with a desire for Scotlands Railway to excel in this area
- Excellent communication skills and able to manage stakeholder expectations
- Experience of working as part of a team, meeting challenging deadlines and managing complex stakeholder relationships
- Proven organisational/process management skills, to include process improvement
- Proficient at working with energy management data systems and carbon emissions calculations methodologies
- Confident working with Microsoft Office
- Previous experience in energy and carbon management within the railway industry
- Comprehensive knowledge of energy and carbon related legislation and a proven track record in managing compliance
How to apply (External) Salary:
51,156 - 57,551Closing date:
30 November 2020. Please get your application in as soon as possible, we may close the advert before the listed closing date if we receive enough applications. Late applications will not be accepted.
Click apply now to apply.Please clearly show in your application how your skills and experience match the requirements of this role.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do. Safe behaviour
is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. You should demonstrate your personal dedication to safety on your application.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Click here for more information
At Network Rail we support our staff through a range of good practice ( Everyone Matters ) guides such as and 6 staff Networks including Archway (LGBTQi+), CanDo (staff with disabilities), Cultural Fusion (BAME staff), Faith and Belief, Inspire (gender) and Myriad (staff with caring responsibilities).
In Scotland, we have won awards such as the Carer Positive Employer award and the Proud Scotland award for making a difference for LGBTQ+ people. We celebrate events such as the Chinese New Year, Gurpurab, Ramadan and Eid, participate in annual Pride events and host a staff Christmas carol service.
We celebrate events such as the Chinese New Year, Gurpurab, Ramadan and Eid, participate in annual Pride events and host a staff Christmas carol service.
To ensure an improved representation in our workforce, applications are particularly welcome from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic people, females, LGBTQi+ people and people with disabilities.
Want to find out about what benefits we offer? click here
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information
Due to current restrictions for COVID-19 it is likely that our process in dealing with your application will be delayed, however please note that we are continuing to conduct our interviews on-line.
For successful candidates we accept there may be delays with start dates to ensure that we can safely on-board each new employee.
We will contact you to let you know whether your application has been affected and inform you of any further changes within the recruitment process.