This is an opportunity to work as an integral part of a small team. The successful candidate will need to build relationships within the sector and wider region, invest and manage investments from the current social fund. Additionally, they will need to be self-motivated and will need to actively develop new and existing networks of contacts within the social enterprise arena.
* Promote awareness of the Social Investment Fund to the North East Region, creating strong relationships with Voluntary, Charitable, and Social Enterprise sector (VCSE organisations) and their support networks to help build a pipeline of viable investment opportunities
* Lead on individual investment proposals from origination to legal completion and ongoing portfolio management
* Work with VCSE organisations to develop their social investment needs, provide advice and support, undertake due diligence and create repayable social investment opportunities, building agreeable cases for presentation to Investment Committee which balance financial risk and social impact
* Work with organisations to apply social impact measurement systems to provide evidence of change and to enable full reporting to stakeholders
* Support the strategic development of the Social Investment Fund
* Develop and maintain effective relationships with a number of VCSE organisations and sector support organisations:
* Take responsibility for relationship management and development, including regular liaison.
* Demonstrate an understanding of each VCSE's organisation and mission.
* Demonstrate a sound level of judgement and outlook based on experience and knowledge of the VCSE sector and a commercial focus and understanding of the impact investments can have on the VCSEs.
* Demonstrate an understanding of the public sector and the potential opportunities for social investment in public services.
* Prepare and present investment papers for new / additional investments.
* Review and analyse financial and other key information within own portfolio.
* Monitor and review social outcome information across organisations within own portfolio
* Contribute to overall Social Investment Fund reports to stakeholders and contribute where necessary to presentations
* Monitor and review financial information for the portfolio
* Ensure all necessary administration is completed resulting from agreed actions (fees/capital payments)
* Monitor and action non-receipt of repayments and where appropriate make recommendations to Portfolio Committee for changes to agreed investments.
Required Skills and Experience
* Educated to degree standard or equivalent
* Experience of the Banking/Finance sector and/or the Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise (VCSE) Sector in the North East of England
* A strong track record of lending, assessing financial data, and/or grant-making
* Strong financial analysis and appraisal skills and strong numeracy skills with knowledge and practical experience of interpreting financial information (e.g. balance sheets, profit & loss etc.) and of assessing risk
* A passion for supporting social enterprises, charities and community groups of all shapes and sizes and the ability to understand and empathise with a range of social issues and charitable activities
* A good understanding of impact-focussed social investment, including experience and understanding of measuring outcome and output performance within the VCSE sector
* Strong people skills with ability to work with a wide range of people including investees, applicants, external stakeholders and partner organisations
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to write reports and give impactful presentations to a range of different audiences
* Demonstrable commitment to working collaboratively internally and externally
* Excellent IT skills including familiarity with Word, PowerPoint, Excel, online communication tools
* Self-motivated, well-organised with the ability to adapt and work flexibly
* Ability to travel across the North East (when Covid-19 restrictions allow)
* Commitment to offering an equality and diversity perspective in all aspects of the organisation's objectives and activities