We are seeking to appoint suitably enthusiastic and highly motivated Exchequer Officers to join our new Exchequer and Procurement Team. You will work as part of a team operating on a matrix basis, offering a professional service to both the internal and external customers of the councils.
As an effective team player, you will have excellent attention to detail and will assist with the creation, development and continuous improvement of the new Exchequer team and ensure it aligns closely with the wider Finance Service. IT and numeracy skills are essential, as are excellent communication and customer service skills. Applicants should ideally have previous experience of working in an Exchequer team, along with experience of working within a large and complex financial environment.
Exchequer Officer Responsibilities:
- Supporting the Team Leader with the provision of financial information, assistance, and advice to council managers at all levels of the organisation, including senior leaders
- Contribute to the development of financial systems and processes
- Supporting the Team Leader ensure fundamental reconciliations are performed in a timely and accurate manner
- Assistance with preparation of monthly management accounts and year end accounts and returns
- Control of standing information held within the various ledgers of the financial management system
- Ensure your specific responsibilities are performed accurately, in line with the set financial procedure rules and in accordance with agreed timetables
- Undertake monthly reconciliation of various balance sheet control accounts in accordance with agreed timetable
- Ensure all entries in relation to payments made and income received are accurately entered into the financial management system in accordance with set deadlines
- Any other duties as may be deemed commensurate with the grade of the post
Exchequer Officer Requirements:
- Ability to collect, appraise, analyse and evaluate information
- Ability to work to demanding performance targets
- An understanding of Financial Management or Income Management Systems
- Numerate with a high degree of accuracy
- Proficient in Excel and Word
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in a related field
If you have the following experience or qualifications - it's a bonus
- Experience within a large and complex financial environment
- Experience of debt management processes
- Experience of reviewing financial policies and procedures
- Experience of working within a local government environment
- A basic understanding of accounting requirements
About South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils:
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils are forward-thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who can communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme.
Salary: £30,854 per annum
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Hours: 37 hours per week
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire
Benefits: A basic 24 days annual leave per annum, rising to 29 days after five years. You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year. Flexible working and annualised hours - a flexible approach to work that our employees love! Salary pay awards - most jobs give scope for a pay increase after six months or the following April (depending on your start date) and we also review salaries each April. A generous career average pension scheme which includes life insurance of three times your salary. No car park costs as there's ample free parking. The opportunity to purchase a bike through Cyclescheme (cheaper than directly through a store) so that you can cycle to work! A salary sacrifice car lease scheme - a fully inclusive driving package for a fixed monthly cost. Various schemes to keep you healthy (reduced gym membership, free swims, workplace exercise classes, contributory medical schemes, wellbeing appointments, free eye tests for DSE users and more). We give you two days per year to volunteer within the local community.
Closing Date: 6th December 2020
You may have experience or an interest in the following: Exchequer Officer, Exchequer Assistant, Finance Assistant, Finance Officer, Accounts Assistant, Finance Manager, Accountant, Auditor, Assistant Accountant, Public Sector, Local Government, etc.