Here at The Very Group we're on an exciting journey to transform our technology estate and create even better experiences for our customers. We're doing that by modernising our existing systems and platforms, utilising a wider variety of modern, cloud-based technologies. We encourage diversity, both in terms of people, technical skills and knowledge.About the roles:
We are looking for a number of Software Engineers to join our tribes and be a part of something truly special.
Our Tech teams have recently gone through a transition to a new working model and culture, one structured around cross-functional teams we called squads. Our squads will make up an overall Tribe. Each tribe is responsible for designing, building, running and improving the technology that relates to their business area, all aimed at providing a world class experience for our customers.
As a Software Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, building and running front-end or back-end software solutions in an agile delivery squad. This role is hands-on, you'll be actively involved in designing, implementing and running the products and services that your squad are responsible for. You'll work to best practices in software engineering, driving and ensuring high quality solutions.
Within our model, Agile software development is key. For these roles it would be great if you already had experience in Agile practice such as BDD, TDD and pair programming.Squads & Tribes Model:
For us this means a cross-functional Tech Team and structure. The overall Tribe will have a subset of set of teams, or as well call them, Squads. Each with a mission to solve specific product challenges. Each squad is composed of individual contributors from different disciplines and led by an individual contributor.
This working model differs drastically from traditional cross-functional teams that typically focus on a single project. Our squads are essentially small start-ups that will take on multiple projects at a time and they will build a part of the product, or even create a full new product. Since each squad has contributors or owners from every domain - from engineering to product, or mobile to design - any squad has the breadth and the depth in terms of skill to for end-to-end ownership.Customer Care (CC)
The Customer Care Tribe is responsible for designing, building, changing and running technology to ensure the Very Group can handle customer service requests in an efficient, compliant and secure manner. The tribe supports customer identity management, profile & preference, case management, knowledge management, customer satisfaction, communications using a variety of channels and the planning and strategy for the Customer Care operations teams.Day to day
- Work with other Engineers in your Squad/ Tribe, Business Analysts, Product Owners and Architects to design and deliver industry leading systems.
- Design and build software that balances the commercial needs of the business alongside delivering the future tech roadmap.
- Actively participate in application and database design, data flows and detailed technical design. Ensure that analysis includes the wider view of technical and business impact.
- Own your code quality.
- Own non-functional requirements around performance, security and scalability to ensure we deliver a great customer experience. Driving best practice around real-time logging, monitoring, alerting.
- Proactively drive the enhancement of continuous integration to improve deployment processes in the squad.
- Identify obstacles, risks and issues that may/ do impact the technical product and work with Software Engineering Lead/ Tech Lead/ Principal and Senior Software Engineers to mitigate them.
- Adhere to policies and standards that impact solutions.
- Provide Run support for technical products within Squad.
- Proactively support other team members, working with them to help them improve their skills.
- Experience in object-oriented programming and design patterns.
- Experience in delivering microservices and integrating with REST APIs
- An understanding of databases and data modelling
- Any experience working with the Salesforce Platform and using Lightning Web Components would be good, but not necessary
Nice to Have:
- CI/CD (Jenkins, Copado)
- Event Driven architectures,
- Amazon AWS services such as AWS API gateway, Lambda, ECS.
- Salesforce APEX
- Salesforce certifications to at least to PD1
We're The Very Group, home to Very.co.uk, Littlewoods.com and a team of 4,000 super-talented people.
We're the UK's largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we've been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we've consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes - going from bricks to clicks, to mobile.Benefits
- Generous and competitive starting salary
- Regular salary reviews and career progression
- 27days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5 days
- Additional flexible benefits allowance £250 (can take a part as salary uplift)
- Generous scalable bonus (based on individual and company performance)
- Matched pension up 6%
- Flexible working - remote vs on-site
- Self-development time
- Brand discount - up to 25%
- Free on-site gym
- Discounted coffee houses and food outlets
- Free on-site parking subject to postcode and availability