Director of Legal - Insurance M&A
The Director of Legal - Insurance M&A will responsible for the legal affairs of the entire group. This role includes providing legal counsel to the board of directors, chairman of the board, chief executive officer and other senior management. This person must possess strong initiative, excellent leadership skills and strong business acumen.
In this Group level role reporting in to the board, the Director of Legal - M&A plays a leading position in the business and will have a dual reporting line in to the board. The Director of Legal does this by providing proactive, in-depth, legal, business-focused advice to the business, as well as implementing initiatives and processes in order to set standards and reinforce a culture of integrity, quality, ethical behaviour and responsibility across the business. You will also be expected to frequently present to the exec committee and other relevant committees.
The Director of Legal is tasked with analysing and identifying the legal risks and implications of all of the business's transactions, keeping the senior management in all departments of the business informed of developments in laws and regulations that potentially affect the business. You will also be assisted by a team of high level external lawyers.
- Developing and leading corporate legal strategy to promote and protect the company's matters
- Overseeing delivery of legal services and resources to accomplish corporate goals, strategies and priorities
- Providing legal advice by directly leading the management of litigation issues such as contract disputes and product liability
- Reviewing and providing advice to the business upon request on matters concerning applicable contracts required for operation of the business
- Working with departmental leadership across the business in identifying and managing potential legal risk
- Liaising with external legal partners where necessary identifying potential legal risks and assessing the issues impacting legal risk, which ensures that all of the business's risk management approaches are viable
- Maintaining proper corporate interactions with the relevant local, national and federal governmental bodies, legislatures and the community at large
- Advising the CEO and other senior corporate officers on a variety of issues
- Driving the organic growth of the legal department
- Implementation of key legal processes that relate to legal drafting, negotiations, and commercial settlement agreements
- Management of the business resources and budget allocation for the business's legal activity
- Contribution to the business's strategy and decision making processes alongside other departmental leaders
- Working with departmental leadership and key stakeholders across the business in overseeing and ensuring legal compliance across the business, maintaining the business's integrity both internally and externally (reputational risk)
- You will have at least 7 years of experience working in a corporate legal capacity within a fast-paced, fast-evolving and dynamic environment, preferably working as a Lawyer
- Must a strong M&A background with proven experience of working in a M&A environment - this will be demonstrated by having extensive successful M&A experience leading negotiations on complex, high value, contracts and agreements
- The candidate will ideally have in-house London market insurance experience, ideally as an in-house lawyer or have a strong practice background
- My client would be interested in seeing candidates who have extensive legal experience looking to take a step up into a Director of Legal role (i.e. you do not have to currently be a Director of Legal)
- The candidate must also have a demonstrable track-record producing effective and high-quality legal advice to departmental heads within a business, leading to enhanced integrity in both internal and external affairs
- You will also have proven and successful experience creating departmental priorities that align strategic direction of the legal department and the overall business objectives
- Must have exceptionally good communication which will especially be necessary in this position
- This person must also have exceptionally good skills in the legal negotiation such as mergers and acquisitions, tender bidding, and contract acquisitions
- An ability to draft and manage complex patent, trademark, and regulatory documentation, handling such matter comfortably within a fast-paced business environment is highly desirable
- The Director of Legal must be a result-driven and service-driven individual, must have exceptionally good problem solving skills, be highly adaptable and flexible, work comfortably in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, have an ability to handle multiple simultaneous tasks and meet tight deadlines, be proactive and self-motivated, have a keen eye for detail, and have an ability to remain calm and composed during times of uncertainty and stress
Please apply for further information and an informal discussion around this role.
Market leading package on offer comprised of exceptional salary plus high level bonus scheme, lucrative benefits and equity/shares in the business.