As the role holder you will provide technical leadership and influence within the energetics materials domain. You will be an expert in your field, known for your transformational contribution to the UK explosive industry. You will be responsible for defining and delivering technical projects, exploring with and influencing director level customers to understand their business and commercial issues and contribute key insights. You will champion the energetic materials and weapons capability in QinetiQ to meet the needs of the UK and International markets.
As a subject matter expert (SME) this role will provide customers with independent advice and assurance on all aspects of energetics materials testing and life assessment in support of Safe & Suitable for Service (S3) and research programmes.
The post holder will be a key leader providing our Maritime and Land business with specialist knowledge and advice on future strategies within the Weapons domain.
Knowledge, skills and Personal Qualities Required
- Significant knowledge of energetic materials, their manufacture into components, life assessment and related technologies in the context of weapons system safety and performance is required
- Experience of providing engineering technical lead role by generating compelling proposals and programme plans, setting technical objectives and identifying resource requirements, and then technically leading the programme whilst proactively monitoring progress.
- An appreciation of systems engineering and technical assurance requirements and processes.
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing, analytical and team working skills
- Good listening and questioning skills to fully understand customers' requirements and problems, good interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Providing thought leadership in the development of new strategies for energetic materials through working with MOD, primes and academia as well as other QinetiQ SMEs
- Developing capabilities and technologies to enable QinetiQ to maintain its position at the forefront of research and development of energetic material technologies
- Working collaboratively to define a strategy to ensure the QinetiQ capability continues to provide and enhance S3 capabilities for our customers now and in the future
- Coordination of technical teams to deliver solutions that meet or exceed the customers' requirements
- Providing an overarching strategy for the development of SQEP to enable a resilient capability in energetic materials for QinetiQ
Develop capability areas in line with relevant QinetiQ business campaigns such as International, Smart Qualification and Test and Evaluation;
- Providing subject matter expertise in energetic materials, their processing methods, manufacturing techniques and failure analysis providing critical advice to MoD on a range of weapon systems from complex missiles through to their subcomponents.
- Ensure that work tasks are delivered to the specified time, cost, required quality standards and any other specifications given
- Lead work proposals providing the technical scope, schedule and risk
- Explore and develop potential business opportunities within the existing and potential customer base
- Develop and maintain effective technical networks both internally and externally
* A first degree in Science or Engineering, or an equivalent, nationally recognised, professional qualification, with typically more than 10 years of further on the job experience and growth of key skills, working in the domain and backed up with a tangible track record of achievement.
* Candidates would be expected to have fulfilled the requirements to attain full professional membership of a relevant professional body.
Why join us?
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success with QinetiQ is the appetite for innovation and courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges. Joining QinetiQ offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting-edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests. We offer an opportunity to work across a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits.
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact