Our Client is a national law firm offering a unique collection of specialisms across the commercial, public, health and insurance sectors, with offices in across the UK. They have long-standing relationships with an impressive range of clients and aim to truly understand their needs to deliver an exceptional service which exceeds their expectations and makes their life easier. They endeavour to be the best regional firm as measured by quality, client engagement and satisfaction, people retention and development. They believe that, as a truly inclusive employer, they will be able to collaborate more effectively and, by bringing diverse perspectives to their work, and create a culture where difference is valued, delivering the best possible service to our broad client base. They also strive to create meaningful personal and professional development opportunities and offer flexible working in support of a good work-life balance.
Why is this role important and how does it fit into the team, department & wider firm?
To ensure the legal support team meets the demands of the firm and its clients. This role will be responsible for the successful delivery of a high-quality, client-focused legal support service, through the operational day-to-day management of the practice and team assistants; and will be the main point of contact. They will work closely with all members of the team focusing on understanding the business and practice needs and work with the Head of Legal Support Services and fee earners to strategically design and deliver appropriately resourced administrative support services and deliver exceptional client service.
What does the role involve?
* Manage individual performance of allocated support resources including regular progress meetings and annual appraisals, probation reviews in line with the competency framework, and objective setting
* Ensure the smooth induction of new starters, transfers and maternity returns to the department, ensuring awareness and understanding of HR, department and client specific policies, procedures and information
* Act as a coach to develop the team to the highest standards
* Identify appropriate training to support induction and personal development through feedback, performance management and continued assessment of training needs
* Provide pastoral care and active management of wellbeing for the legal support team
* Manage legal support teams with a focus on service delivery and excellence; resolve issues relating to workflow, resources, working relationships, service delivery and HR matters
Management of Support Services
* Working closely with other PSMs, manage resource allocation to ensure service levels are maintained across the department and ensuring a fair distribution of workload and cover
* Work closely with the Head of LSS to support wider group. Ensure full understanding of the groups aims and objectives
* Develop relationships and proactively engage with the fee earners to understand client specific requirements/SLAs/KPIs, and to ensure the successful management and administration of practice area support
* Responsible for ensuring the prioritisation of work appropriately, balancing fee earning work and C & M needs
* Ensure all Practice Assistants and Team Assistants work proactively and collectively for the benefit of the business across their team and other teams as appropriate
* Manage headcount in line with business needs and ensure business case established where changes are required, drafting documentation as requested
* changes and effect timely interventions to address the changes, working with the Head of Dept to introduce these into the service
* Proactively and flexibly work with the other Team Managers to improve the quality and efficiency of legal support services provided to the business, ensuring consistency of approach
* Produce management information as required; Implement and review team KPIs/SLAs, statistics etc. for ongoing monitoring of quality and efficiency and performance management
* Review processes and service provision, introducing improvements/new services as appropriate; developing and managing the current services being provided as well as considering future changes in line with technology changes and the changing needs of our clients/the business
Quality of service
* Drive the delivery of exceptional client service, quality and consistency across departments through ongoing process improvement; review of systems and processes, capturing, sharing and implementing best practice
* Ensure full compliance by the legal teams of our policies and procedures (e.g. Compliance, ISO, Finance), engaging with central teams where appropriate
* Lead on department projects, adopting common project methodologies from initiation to completion and ensuring business requirements, objectives and anticipated benefits are understood and achieved
What technical skills are required for someone to be successful and enjoy the role?
* Management qualifications
* Demonstrable experience of working in a management role in a legal or professional service environment
* Advanced Microsoft Office skills
Who would be a good fit for this role?
As part of the legal support services team, you would be expected to have the following skills and experience:
* Excellent communication skills with the ability to quickly establish credible relationships at all levels
* Experience of managing multiple stakeholders and leading change
* Ability to balance conflicting priorities, be alert to potential problems and challenge working practices;
* Resilient with the ability to manage difficult situations effectively and stay calm under pressure
* Strong influencing skills
* Acts as a role model and mentor