We are currently recruiting for a Category Manager based at our Walkers Deli & Sausage site at Cobden Street, Leicester. Walkers Deli & Sausage is part of the Samworth Brothers Group, a 4th generation family business that prides itself on looking after its people and producing high quality products. We are always looking for outstanding people, with great attitudes and an openness to learning to join our family. The size of our business enables us to support career development and progression that will help our people fulfil their potential.
We are looking for the right person to work with our Head of Category & Commercial as well as New Product Development to deliver clear category plans for the appropriate accounts. You will be developing the Category Plans and identifying key priorities as well as carrying out customer reviews, shopper insight and where appropriate being involved in merchandising decisions. You will build an understanding of the retailer strategies, Samworth Brothers strategies and where Walkers Deli & Sausage Company fit with those and contribute towards overall success. Alongside this you will be supporting and developing Category Executives to build a talent pipeline for the future.
This role would require you to be in the office a couple of days per week but homeworking can be used for the remaining time. Prior to current restrictions related to Covid 19 this role would have been at customer sites once or twice per week, this work is currently being done remotely in the main but some travel will be required.
The Right Person
You will be someone who is self-motivated and enthusiastic to have a breadth of contribution within the site and you will have an openness to learn from others across the wider business to take best practice and share this for the benefit of the whole Group. In addition, you will have the following skills:
* Experience of working with a major food retailer is essential
* 4+ years of Category role experience within food
* Experience of being in a stand alone customer facing role
* Chilled food experience is desirable but ambient and frozen also considered
* Experience of working with own label products but brand experience considered
* Strong IT skills including Excel & Word
* Strong communication skills including the ability to pick out key information for relevant audiences
* Ability to prioritise and manage workload of self and others to deliver overall goals/strategy
* Can demonstrate an openness to learning and supporting others's development
What We Have To Offer
We provide a terrific range of benefits including great facilities with onsite parking and subsidised restaurants, as well as an excellent retirement savings plan (pension), private health cover (subject to terms and conditions) and a discount scheme 'Quality Life' that provides savings at supermarkets, high street retailers and a host of leisure outlets