Managing Senior Developer - React
Hello from TotalJobs Group!
At Totaljobs Group we have one purpose; to help people find the job they love and employers to find great talent.
We have a unique and collaborative culture where we share the same values and beliefs that make Totaljobs Group a great place to build your career. People are the key to our success and they have voted us to be a Great Place to Work for the past 11 years.
This is your chance to join us and make a huge impact as we continue the journey to becoming smarter and more effective in helping people find the jobs they love.
We're looking for a Managing Senior Full Stack Developer to join our teams. We're looking for someone who has experience in full stack development who's an expert in React development, good working knowledge of infrastructure (AWS, Terraform) and experience in a backend development language (preferably Node or C#), loves to mentor and knows the power of being a force-multiplier for those around them, and can take on line management for 2-4 developers (either in-team or for other teams).
This role would suit someone who enjoys wearing a few different hats: as a senior developer with a strong development background (3 - 5+ years); as a tech lead who's happy to lead by example, but knows when to make space for others; and as a manager who wants to help support and mentor others, both in and out of team. There is an expectation around the ability to influence and steer team members who don't report to you and act as a role model (both technically and emotionally). Being able to help formulate and execute on plans (and bring everyone else along!) is key.
It's an exciting time here, having gone through a number of changes to combine the two core brands' (Jobsite and TotalJobs) technology departments into one, we're currently investing heavily in new product development. With the size of the company (we have over 100 developers split between 25 teams in Technology alone), there's loads of opportunity to get involved at many different levels well beyond just doing your job, and any changes you make will have a big impact: between TotalJobs and Jobsite we have 21,000 customers, who between them post 330,000 jobs per month attracting over 4 million applications from 21 million visits.
What's important to us is finding the right people to nurture and grow. We expect you to exhibit an honest curiosity about how things work, be willing to experiment with new ideas and build strong relationships around the business. Your ability to learn and how you use what you know to get work done will be key to your personal growth, but we don't want you to stop there! We want people who make the people and the environment around them better.
We absolutely must have someone who (and will be interviewing for):
- Strong React development experience
- Experience of backend programming language, preferably Node or C#
- Willingness to participate in and often lead technical discussion(s)
- Commitment to producing high value, maintainable and reliable code
- Previous experience of collaborating with a wide group of stakeholders
- Ability and/or experience to mentor, guide and lead by example
- Ability to manage, have honest conversations as well as offer praise and support
Our technical test is a pairing test using React and either Node or C# - the code is available to look at before the interview.
If you've got specific experience with any of our core technologies or methods, that's a bonus:
- C# / Node
- TDD, Agile, pair programming
- AWS, Terraform, Docker Containers, ECS
- Kibana, Grafana Dashboard and Exceptionless
A typical week as a Managing Senior Full Stack Developer could involve:
- Taking part in standups, offering to help get someone else unstuck
- Starting up your VM dev environment (no more fussy local configuration!), and getting stuck straight in to a code problem
- Pairing with your team mates, walking them through TDD concepts
- Getting yourself off the critical path, and helping others step up
- Taking a break to get some quality table tennis practice in
- Reviewing a pull request and sharing something you learned
- Helping the PO break down what she's thinking, to help your team get stuck into the problem
- Watching your code deploy into production and getting the satisfaction of knowing your PO loves the work you've done
- Contributing to a retrospective, even leading the discussion, observing where things were great and making some suggestions on where they can be better
- Leading design reviews and helping set precedents around the application your team owns
- Organising your own calendar to make sure you've got time to explore a new piece of the code, ready for Innovation Friday
- 1-1s with your manager, checking on your objectives and making sure you're doing okay and getting what you need
- 1-1s with your people, helping them with introspection and coaching them into creating their own objectives
- Attending a manager community of practice, sharing some challenges, learning from other managers, and offering your support
We've got a lot to shout about. Just a snippet of what we can offer you:
- 29 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays
- Team social budgets for lunch and events
- Tribe events and socials
- Monthly innovation day (work on whatever you like)
- Pension scheme
- Life Assurance x4 salary
- Interest free travel loan (season ticket)
- Company discounts on things from restaurants and hotels to Apple products
- Subsidised private healthcare
- Cycle to work scheme
- Child care schemes
- Statutory flexible working requests as well as ad-hoc work from home available (we know life doesn't stop just because you start work!)
- Weekly exercise club, just turn up!
- Amazon voucher on your births, birthday, marriages. We will never forget your birthday!
- Continual learning and improvement working with like-minded people within our dynamic organisation.
- Plenty of support for wherever you're going in life
Oh, and if there's activities or things you'd like to do but don't see listed - bring them with you! We love new ideas!
How we hire
We know that job hunting is stressful and is probably the most important thing you're doing at the time, so want to make sure we don't waste your time and that you to come away from talking to us with something more than what you started with. At StepStone UK we want to make sure everyone has the same, great, experience so we focus on your ability to do the job and offering specific feedback to everyone who we talk to. There are plenty of opportunities throughout to ask questions, so don't be shy, please do interview us too!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Ready for your fresh and exciting challenge? Apply now! We look forward to hearing from you!
About our company
We are part of a global business, StepStone Group, spanning across 30 countries and we operate under 11 digital brands within the UK: totaljobs.com, jobsite.co.uk, CWJobs.co.uk, RetailChoice.com Milkround.com, Caterer.com, CatererGlobal.com, CareerStructure.com, eMedCareers.com, Cityjobs.com with 800 employees across 9 locations.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/90938014