* Competitive + company benefits
* Aceville/DC Thomson Media
Entry-level position for a creative Content Writer to make their mark on a national publication and its digital brand extensions, including a successful podcast
Do you have what it takes to join the UK's best fruit and veg growing title? If you have proven experience in consumer journalism or creative writing, have an interest in gardening and horticulture, are able to think on your feet and have a head full of content ideas - then you could be just what we are looking for.
Aceville Publications, part of DC Thomson Media, is seeking a creative and diligent Content Writer to join Grow Your Own.
We're a leading UK publisher passionate about creating amazing experiences for our audiences. Our market-leading brands include Natural Health, Health & Wellbeing, the Teach group, Modern Home, The Crafts Channel and Crafts Beautiful.
We reach millions of engaged consumers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We're looking for someone who can create content that grabs every single one of them by the eyeballs. Interested? Read on.
What we're looking for...
Grow Your Own's Content Writer is an entry-level position as part of a small, dedicated team that publishes 13 issues a year, directs a trailblazing website, forum and social platforms, runs the annual Great British Growing Awards and produces a chart-topping podcast - plus much more besides.
You need to be able to sub a cucumber growing guide one moment, write a SEO-friendly online news story the next and concept a new engagement-driving social media campaign by lunchtime, all the while having the Grow Your Own demographics firmly at the forefront of your mind.
A whizz on social media, our social platforms are your opportunity to shine. You'll know just the right hook to appeal to our followers, and you will be as comfortable writing a shareable tweet as a 1,500 word feature on how to grow show-stopping tomatoes.
If writing engaging copy and contributing to the success of a national publication and its brand extensions sounds like a challenge you're ready for, we want to hear from you.
* Organise, research and write a number of regular pages and features within the magazine to tight deadlines, and see these pages through all stages of production alongside the Deputy Editor and Editor
* Support the Deputy Editor and Editor in the production of supplements, bookazines, podcasts and promotional marketing materials
* Build and nurture relationships with PRs, contributors and other external contacts
* Create sharable and SEO-friendly copy for the Grow Your Own website and newsletter, feeding into a larger digital strategy
* Develop and manage all social platforms in line with targets and objectives
* Carry out a variety of routine administration tasks, including monitoring the Grow Your Own forum and responding to written and email correspondence from readers
* Ensuring the upkeep of production systems and other organisational devices to facilitate smooth content creation
* Attend relevant consumer and trade shows with overnight stays as necessary
* Perform any other tasks delegated by the Editor or Deputy Editor to facilitate production of the magazine and its projects
The ideal candidate will be creative, organised, articulate and brimming with ideas. A horticultural background is not essential, but a demonstrable interest in and knowledge of horticulture is desirable. Previous experience in consumer magazines and creative writing, plus proven digital and social media expertise is desired. This is an entry-level position.
What we'll do for you...
We pride ourselves on putting people first. This role is exposed to an incredible array of departments and upskilling opportunities, making progression easy for someone who is motivated to succeed. We'll work with you to develop and progress your career based on what you enjoy. Plus, as part of DC Thomson Media, we offer a competitive package of benefits to support your personal and professional development. This includes a healthcare cash plan, pension scheme and mental health support.
* Up to 25 days annual leave per year(starting at 20 days and incrementally increasing after two year's and five year's service)
* Generous workplace pension scheme- up to 9.5% pension contribution
* In addition to annual leave entitlement, your Birthday off after your first year
* Generous healthcare cash plan
* Free annual eye tests
* Health club discounts
* Group-wide discounts for products and services from DC Thomson brands
* Plus much more!
To apply, please send your CV, a covering letter outlining exactly why we should hire you, plus two examples of your work to the Editor of Grow Your Own, Laura Hillier