This fixed term opportunity is to be offered on a 6-month, fixed term contract
This role will be predominantly home based as a result of the pandemic although certain business critical activities may require an office presence.
Essex Legal Services (ELS) is part of Essex County Council (ECC) providing high quality, professional, legal advice across the Council and to external clients.
Paralegals/Legal Executives deliver high quality advice and guidance on commercial and corporate matters across the Council and to external clients, including assisting with company secretarial matters. The role provides a professional legal service, that is valued by our customers and improves their business.
Candidates must be educated to Level 5 with experience of working within a legal environment, an ability to build strong working relationships both with colleagues and clients and a proven track record in delivering excellent customer service.
* Works closely with colleagues to assist with the delivery of all aspects of routine legal work, including drafting and preparing legal documents for functions across the Council and to external customers.
* Responsible for interpreting the legal and business impact of changes in law and assessing these on the operations of Essex Legal Services, our partners, stakeholders and client base.
* Responsible for understanding and interpreting client needs to provide them with a service they value, which supports them in driving the delivery of productivity and efficiency improvements.
* Responsible for attending Court or public inquiries in appropriate cases.
* Develop and deliver training packages to other areas of the council relating to appropriate areas of work.
* Contributes to the development of current and future business opportunities, to promote Essex Legal Service's vision to the external market.
* Responsible for delivering personal objectives in support of the function's overall business plan.
* Develops good working relationships across the Council, and the private sector to ensure a quality service is provided to the customer.
* Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, skills and experience
* Educated to level 5 (degree) or equivalent, with 2 years' work experience in a legal environment.
* Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
* Experience of working within a legal setting in a public service or private sector environment, providing routine legal advice.
* Experience of advocacy including appearing before Magistrates and Crown Court.
* Proven track record of delivering excellent customer service.
* Works collaboratively with colleagues and the client base, to understand customer needs with a strong focus on delivering positive outcomes.
* Ability to develop working relationships across a large, complex organisation and with internal and external partners/stakeholders and clients to maintain and develop business streams.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on the Working for Essex website.
Apply and next steps
In order to be considered please ensure you upload an up to date CV and supporting statement when prompted.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.