Newsquest, the UK arm of the US-based Gannett group, has a new and exciting opportunity for a qualified Financial Reporting Accountant to join our Regional Finance Team.
This is a newly created opportunity and will be a key hire, integral to the strategic development and success of the Regional Finance Team and the wider group operations. Key duties and responsibilities:
- Ownership of companywide controls environment, covering the publishing and s1x businesses, including the Balance Sheet reconciliation processes
- Quarterly SOX controls reporting to Internal Audit function (US-based via parent company, Gannett)
- Monthly and Quarterly reporting to group (England based teams), including properties submissions
- Process review and re-engineering, including improving data flow and standardising processes
- Payroll support, including monthly variable pay inputs sent to Southampton, based Payroll Office, monthly analysis and reporting (including headcount), forecasting and budgeting processes
- Maintenance of the GL account coding structure
- Month-end close support, ensuring the accuracy of the trial balance (full P&L account and balance sheet account reported to Group within WD4) within the Editorial, Sales and Advertising, Operations, subscriptions, and Events functions
- Provide analysis of Overheads and Payroll Costs, including weekly forecasting
- Co-ordination of Quarterly Publishers Checklist
- Support for preparation of monthly board reports (MDFD)
- ONS submissions support
- Qualified Accountant (CIMA, ACCA or ICAS)
- Strong audit or controls experience, ideally within another complex, multi-site, multi-unit business
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, to all levels of the business, including at Director level
- Experience of US reporting, including SOX controls framework
- Track record of process improvement and change management
- Strong systems experience, including advanced MS Excel
- Experience of working alongside a Shared Service Centre
- Experience of using MS Dynamics (ERP)
- Experience of remote working, and across multiple sites
- Strong commercial awareness
We are a media company with a difference. We are committed to bringing a voice to your region by investing in a passionate team of journalists who proudly serve their communities by sharing authoritative news that readers trust. Our sales teams provide local businesses with highly responsive digital advertising and marketing solutions.
The Glasgow based team covers the Scotland and Ireland regions, covering Publishing, Magazines, printing and s1x (inc. s1jobs.com) businesses, covering both print and digital formats across several titles including the Herald, Glasgow Evening Times and the National newspapers, as well as the Scottish Farmer magazine.
We offer a competitive salary, generous company benefits, and ongoing development opportunities.
The group has recently embraced flexible, remote working options. We provide all tools and resources required to ensure our teams can work effectively while still being connected to the Newsquest culture and our people.