We currently have a Pollution Technician position available for a motivated individual to join our team based in Tolgus Depot, Redruth on a full time, permanent basis. You will receive a competitive salary of £20,000 to £26,000 per annumplus benefits.
South West Water is part of Pennon Group, a successful and stable business which prides itself on sustainability. We provide reliable, efficient and high quality drinking water and waste water services for a population of c. 1.7 million in Cornwall, Devon, and parts of Somerset and Dorset.
We know that the support and commitment of our staff is key to our success so you will receive the opportunity for ongoing development and training for a long term career with us. We're one of the largest companies in the South West and are proud to have been awarded Investors in People recognition. In return, we offer an excellent range of benefits which include: free car parking at the majority of our sites, company Sharesave Scheme, childcare support, and various health benefits.
Our 2020-25 business plan set out our ambitious targets for reducing pollution incidents.
While we have significantly improved our performance in some key areas, particularly in reducing the most serious pollutions, we know we have more to do to tackle minor, less serious pollutions.
One of the key areas that we want to improve is around pollution incidents that happen on the network of sewers that move wastewater from customers' homes to our treatment works. As our network is spread over a large and often rural area, it can be a challenge to identify and respond quickly enough to potential pollution.
To help us improve, we have established a dedicated task force to focus on pollutions and employed more operators to carry out sewer cleansing and pumping station inspections and maintenance. When pollutions happen, as well as responding quickly to minimise any impact on the environment, we are looking very carefully at what caused them and what we can do to prevent them happening again.
The main function of the Pollution Technician is to support the CS&N team through monitoring and investigating the performance of the sewerage network, specifically pollution incidents. You will utilise data and on-site investigations to influence our actions and support the team to meet pollution targets. You will identify issues and process and prepare capital repair submissions to ensure effective maintenance and repair of the sewerage network, including transferred sewers and pump stations, as well as CSOs, EDMs and NRVs.
Responsibilities as our Pollution Technician will include:
- Supporting Waste Water to investigate incidents, including technical advice and guidance to identify root cause and practical actions to prevent reoccurrence
- Ensuring that incident records within the Pollution Incident Reporting System are updated with all relevant information in line with the 28-day pollution process
- Assisting Waste Water teams collate incident data for inclusion in 'No Impact Statements' and formal responses to regulator questions
- Investigating suspected third-party responsibility
- In conjunction with the Network operators, ensuring accurate supporting information is provided to Sewer Maintenance Contractors and internal teams
- Liaising with Asset Management for progress on Investment Manager Schemes on behalf of the WWS Operational Area
- Attending functional pollution review meetings
- Work with Asset Management to maintain a hotspot identification programme which identifies geographical areas where issues are apparent within the sewerage network
- Building and maintaining, excellent relations with customers, public authorities, other bodies and work colleagues
- Working with Wholesale WWS Customer Service & Network Manager, Assistant Manager and Asset Management to identify planned cleaning activities required on sewers to build within the area Infra asset maintenance programme
- Working closely with Sewer Maintenance Contractors on further work and provide information to Wholesale WWS Customer Service & Network Manager and Assistant Manager to help keep customers informed
- Maintaining financial information relating to capital and revenue expense lines
- Maintaining area records and provide regular update reports to the Wholesale WWS Customer Service & Network Manager regarding outstanding follow up work and blockages/collapses and equipment failure data
- Ensure that Health and Safety policies and standards are adhered to always
What we are looking for in our Pollution Technician:
- 5 GCSEs at grades A-C or equivalent including Maths, English and a Science subject
- ONC / City and Guilds in relevant subject or NVQ
- Waste Water Process or Sewerage Control Level 2 standard of competence or HNC / Water Diploma (desirable)
- HNC in associated technical discipline preferred
- Relevant experience in Waste Water Treatment, Sewerage network operation or environmental control activity preferred
- Proven experience of working within a team environment but also on your own
- Proven experience of communicating effectively with internal and external customers in both verbal and written contexts
- Technical outlook and ability to analyse and administer varied data sources to present information for action
- Ability to deal effectively with internal and external customers
- Reliable, thorough and committed to achieving the requirements of the role
- Ability to show resilience in a fast-changing operational environment
Closing date: 10th November 2020
If you are looking for a new challenge, please click apply now to be considered as our Pollution Technician - we look forward to receiving your application.