Ultra Command & Sonar Systems (CSS) are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to contribute to our rapidly expanding business within the domain of naval Integrated Sonar Systems.
In this role you will support the software development life cycle consisting of requirements analysis, design, implementation, test and verification in order to deliver software components into projects and products.
Work with sonar domain experts to develop Graphical User Interfaces, Business Logic, Built In Tests and ship interfaces hosted on Linux and Windows platforms. Software shall be integrated with signal processing and infrastructure components, delivery shall be within agreed cost, schedule and quality constraints.
Work within a growing multi-site team contributing to multiple projects adhering to Engineering Function processes and demonstrating team work through knowledge sharing, coaching and technical leadership roles.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer who have succeeded in positions of responsibility for software delivery. More junior candidates will be considered if they can demonstrate the qualities and aspiration needed to progress to Senior Engineer level in the short term.Key Responsibilities as a Senior Software Engineer
Skills, Qualification and Experience as a Senior Software Engineer
- Requirement analysis and derivation of system requirements down to software sub-system.
- Architectural design, selection and implementation of real time, distributed designs and design patterns.
- Application of software skills across a range of products encompassing multiple layers of a software stack.
- Host and Target debugging environments.
- Use of Unit Test frameworks and implementation of (automated) unit testing.
- Production of formal software documentation throughout the whole life cycle
- Selection and Implementation of widely used development methodologies and life cycles (agile, waterfall, V model, incremental, spiral).
- Write technical reports or plans and present information to line manager, project management team and peers.
- Supports Bids by providing input on technical solutions estimates and plans.
- Handle information of a sensitive, confidential or secret nature.
- Apply Software Engineering best practices, methodologies, processes and tools.
- Derived requirements analysis.
- Software architectural and detailed design using UML.
- Programming in Java and or C++.
- Production of Software plans and design documentation.
- An awareness of Software Configuration Management and Build Management.
- An awareness of unit test frameworks and implementation of automated unit tests.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Science, Engineering, Technology or Mathematics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication of complex items at a level suitable to be understood by internal and external stakeholders/customers/suppliers.
- Acting as team player who recognises impact of own performance and behaviour in the wider team.
- Self-motivated, adaptable to change, proactive, diligent and good inter-personal skills.
- Office based with flexible working across all CSS operational sites on an occasional basis. Occasional travel within the UK and overseas.
Every employee is critical to our success and as such we offer a range of flexible employee benefits along with career development opportunities. The offices have free parking and local transport links. In addition you will receive:
Empowering you to reach your full potential
- Flexible working within core working hours
- 25 days' holiday with the option to buy/sell 5 days plus bank holidays.
- 4 times your annual salary in life assurance
- Flexible benefits package (benefits such as, new car scheme, retail vouchers, gym discounts, employee share scheme, health screening and more!)
- Pension Scheme
We trust and empower each other, we love to celebrate success and we win as a team. Together, we embrace change and we're never satisfied until we've done what we said we'd doSecurity clearance
Applicants will be required to meet SC level clearanceHow to Apply
If you believe you have the skills and experience required to join our team then please click apply and upload your CV now.
Here at Ultra we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusivity. Underpinned by our values, behaviours and policies, we want you to feel empowered to be the best version of yourself. We also believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures will increase our diversity of thinking, ensuring we continue to successfully deliver to our customers.
We therefore do not discriminate on the basis of; age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible. Please note, once you have completed your application this will be reviewed by our Talent Acquisition team. On occasions we may close roles earlier than the advertised closing date based on the quality of applications received. We encourage you to submit your application as soon as you are ready to. We look forward to hearing from you shortly.