Public Sector Procurement Manager (NHS)
To take lead responsibility for the internal delivery of strategic and operational procurement on behalf of a client team. To undertake procurement activities for clients in accordance with the current work plan to support the delivery of an effective and efficient Procurement Service. To deliver aspects of a complex contracts work plan. This will include the achievement of annual savings targets, compliance with all relevant legislation, identifying areas for future investigation and bringing added value to the benefit of the constituent Trusts.
Temporary: Expected to last 3 months with possible extension
Hours per week: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: Upto £24.00 (Umbrella) or £22.00 per hour (PAYE) dependent on experience
Skills and Knowledge
Continuous professional development (CPD) - evidence of Supply chain management training to be supplemented by additional specialist courses as required.
Purchasing Procedures workshops
Account management skills training
Able to demonstrate in depth experience of competitive tenders/quotations
Specialist procurement knowledge
Competent with all Microsoft programs
Good Communication: written & oral at senior manager level
Interpersonal, able to work as part of a large team
Able to use initiative and work independently
Well organised, able to prioritise both own workload and that of team members
Competent with all Oracle functionality and e-Cataloguing solutions
Good training skills
Ability to produce clear training and programs with support materials and documentation
Confident to contribute constructively at meetings
Project management experience or equivalent qualification
Experience of leading training and development sessions for team members and potential Clients
Experience of proactive category \Client management
Specific Core Functions
* To take the lead in all relevant internal and external meetings to raise the profile and improve service delivery of the procurement function. To take the lead for the procurement process by delivering a portfolio of complex and high value contracts.
* To ensure, compliance with all relevant legislation, advising and supporting stakeholders in the processes required, identifying areas for future investigation and bringing best value and quality outcomes of the participating client trusts.
* To foster close relationships with category and provider relationship managers to achieve results.
* To forge open and transparent relations with all SoEPS Clients. Provide specialist strategic procurement knowledge across a broad spectrum of commodity areas.
* Take responsibility for the purchase of goods by delivering a portfolio of complex and high value contracts and develop new and innovative methods of evaluating tender returns to maximise value added and savings opportunities for the Client.
* Produce Official Journal of the European Union advertisements, complex tender and contract documentation for an agreed portfolio of contracts. Negotiate with suppliers and user departments to ensure optimum value for money.
* Work closely with user departments to ensure they produce complete, accurate and relevant specifications for goods and services. Offer commercial/contractual advice and guidance to Divisions for all goods and services as required.
* Be responsible for the day to day management of the Strategic Procurement Team, taking responsibility for allocation of work, appraisals, training and assisting with recruitment and selection and discipline.
* Lead tender adjudication meetings and supplier meetings (pre and post tender) acting as chair person or secretary as required
* Take an active role in the development and delivery of the annual Procurement work plan implementing policy throughout activity.
* Identify new areas (through data analysis) for contracting and work with CSCs to successfully implement changes, clinical trials and R&D activities. Increase purchase order expenditure managed by contracts.
* As an active member of the Cross Team Working Group support in the development and implementation of departmental policies and procedures, impacting across the Trust.
* Maintain Work Plans and Databases to ensure they are always up to date and effective reports are available as and when required. Use these tools to manage resources and priorities within the team.
* Participate in the training and development of colleagues and Trust staff to enable professional development and contribute to overall objectives of the department.
* Work closely with the Operational Teams (including the Supply Chain Team) to ensure their support and development, getting involved in resolving any ongoing issues with the Client if required.
* Attend Client based review meetings, acting as the main support to the Procurement Manager for any detail and actions following. Maintain a close working relationship with all key Client Stakeholders to ensure the profile and professionalism of NHS South of England Procurement Services exceeds the expectations of the Client base.
* Deputise in the absence of the Head of Procurement. Undertaking any other assignments or duties allocated by the appropriate senior staff