Do you have experience of working with large groups of teenagers as a sports coach?
Are you a recent graduate looking to make a difference to children's lives, using your sporting knowledge to have an impact on their physical and mental health?
Are you possibly considering a PGCE in PE in the future and would like to gain more classroom experience?
If the answer is yes to any of these questions then apply to Randstad Education today! On behalf of two Doncaster secondary schools we are looking for a Sports Coach, also known as a 'cover supervisor specialising in PE, who can work on a day-to-day ad hoc basis, but this could lead to something more long-term in future. On most days the work is a full school day, but you may cover just for mornings or afternoons, or even one lesson; the work can be part-time and very flexible to suit your availability. The requirement is due to an increase in the need for day to day cover within these mainstream settings particularly in the PE department, covering absent teachers due to training courses, meetings or sickness. This is a great opportunity to enhance your exposure to different schools and ages and be excited by the prospect of an incredibly varied week!
Our staff have a well-deserved reputation as being the best in South Yorkshire and as a reward for your hard work and commitment you will benefit from:
- a dedicated, professional and friendly specialist 'Doncaster Secondary' consultant and a branch with 24 hour on-call facility
- competitive rates of pay paid weekly, which are fully compliant under the Agency Workers Regulations (AWR, 2011)
- commitment to your continuing professional development through free training such as 'An Introduction to Cover Supervision as well as safeguarding and 'Team Teach' (positive behaviour management strategies)
- recommend a friend bonus worth up to £300
- flexible hours and working patterns
- being part of a highly respected supply team and developing your own reputation within it, especially through various rewards like candidate of the Term'
- outstanding schools to work at, with supportive staff, on-site parking and excellent staff facilities
- the experience of working with this 11-18 age group; cover supervision is excellent preparation for someone looking to do a PGCE in future
You would need to be available to start in the new school term in January 2021. This is a great opportunity to work as part of a committed team, providing a service to the staff and pupils of the schools. Responsibilities would include:
- being willing and able to supervise classes of 11-18 year old, using strategies to manage behaviour in line with school policy, both in the classroom for theory-based PE as well as in the hall and sports facilities or outdoors
- delivering PE lessons according to the national curriculum set by a qualified teacher, with no planning or marking involved
- being willing to cover in other subject lessons if required as part of the booking
- utilise your coaching skills to build effective relationships with the pupils
- engaging with the pupils and keeping them on task or focused on the activity, assisting with queries where possible
- being aware of safeguarding considerations especially during physical activity or where the lesson involves PE equipment
- being able to communicate effectively, and having a confident and friendly attitude
- dealing with any immediate issues or emergencies according to the school policies and procedures
Our requirements for this post mean you must:
- have experience of working with children, preferably 11-18, which can be referenced (voluntary work included)
- possess a background in sports coaching or training and own suitable clothing as a kit's to wear for PE lessons
- be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS)
- be passionate about working with children and young people
- possess the motivation to achieve and add value to the school
- be flexible, punctual, professional and approachable
- be able to establish rapport quickly with children whilst maintaining a high standard of control and discipline
- a degree qualification in PE, sport or education, or a qualification in teaching and learning support is an advantage
Randstad Education is the UK Market Leader for recruitment within education. We have been helping teachers and support staff to find temporary and permanent roles in schools, colleges and nurseries for over twenty years. Working with over 2500 schools each week, our staff support over 135,000 children every day across the country, so we can find the right match for your skills. The Sheffield branch is one of the oldest and busiest in the country and has a dedicated team of consultants working across primary, secondary and SEN, specialising in specific locations,
We are proud to support a diverse portfolio of schools across South Yorkshire, so even if this job or location is not suitable, we would still like to hear from you regarding your relevant experience, as we may have other roles available in schools, temporary or permanent, short-or long-term, full or part-time, which may be a better match. If your application is deemed to be suitable, an interview would be offered immediately and you could start working in the schools in the new academic year. All candidates will be required to undergo child protection and UK eligibility checks. Randstad Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and require all applicants to share this commitment. All applicants will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
To discuss this in more detail, please contact Daniel Mace , your specialist Secondary consultant, via email on or by telephone at the sheffield branch on