One of our local authority clients are currently recruiting for a Chief Accountant. This is a temporary contract for 3 months with possible further extension based on budget and performance.
Main Purpose of Post/Job Summary
* To be the primary expert on financial accounting regulations and be the primary advisor on this subject matter to the Council's statutory section 151 Officer.
* To hold the day-to-day responsibility for the Council's system of financial controls, ensuring that all key reconciliations are produced monthly, quarterly or yearly depending on their importance and the regularity.
* To regularly liaise and manage relationships with the External Auditors at a senior level.
* To manage the production of the Council's Single entity and Group accounts.
* To manage the end of year capital and asset accounting processes.
* The post holder will be expected to manage officers who will work unsupervised on their specific area of specialism but also manage the support on a wide range of Project based financial issues and provide suggestions for the resolution.
* The role requires a very high level of financial accountancy skills, as the primary technical accounting expert for the Council. They will need to develop specialist models based on continuing accounting changes in legislation and regulation.
* To report and update regularly directly to the Council's General Purposes Committee and other relevant committees in relation to the Council's Accounts.
* To report quarterly to EMT on the Council's Accounts and any key technical accounting matter.
* To manage the production of the Statement of Accounts, Group Accounts and other related statutory returns.
* To ensure that the Chief Accountant's team is forward looking and prepared for changes in financial regulations
* To ensure that all key reconciliations and forecasts are updated in line with the Council's Financial Regulations and with the timescales for quarterly accounts production.
* To advise on the impact on the Council's budgets from changes in accounting regulations.
* To have overarching responsibility for the Balance Sheet.
* To manage system improvements in the Council's core financial systems and improve reporting capabilities, as the day-to-day system owner.
* The postholder will need to undertake other tasks as required.
* To propose and deliver solutions that have a major impact on the Council's financial position with limited support for complex accounting and budgetary problems.
* Pro-Actively seek opportunities to improve the financial support provided to Council's deliver efficiencies including through the implementation of system improvements and increased automation.
The above is a brief overview of the role, details and specification will be provided should you be successful. If interested in this position, please send your CV to Jahker Miah at Coyle Personnel Ltd