Interim Data Analyst/Manager
Pay Rate: Up to £26.96 per hour, pay range subject to IR35 status
NHS Digital are working tirelessly to collect data that will be useful to our Health and Care system, which will help it respond effectively to the pressures and impact of COVID-19. The Adult Social Care Statistics team routinely collect a broad range of data relating to services and outcomes in Local Authorities. They publish national statistics from those collections on an annual cycle.
Given the current necessity for shorter-term planning, a new collection is about to go live, covering Adult Social Care activity in the first six months of the current financial year. Insights from that collection will be published in December 2020.
There is an urgent, short-term requirement for an experienced and rounded Data Manager / Analyst to join the team, to coordinate and do much of the work to support this collection and publication.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Strong analytical and requirements gathering skills
- Able to understand and interpret results from complex analysis
- Strong working knowledge and experience of databases including database interrogation tools
- Good working knowledge of spreadsheets, with experience of making use of their wider functionality, e.g. formulae, interrogation tools
- Applies knowledge of opensource software, and has confidence in making decisions around which methods and techniques to apply, and assists others in making these decisions
- Understanding of a wide range of data quality issues and the application of the appropriate data validation techniques
- Good working knowledge of statistical modelling and techniques including coding on software packages, such as SAS, SSRS, Python
- Knowledge of the techniques used for planning and executing testing throughout the software lifecycle
- Able to work effectively within a virtual and remote team under guidance from senior colleagues, able to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team, able to work across teams
- Able to learn rapidly and communicate effectively to understand the work required and present or explain work completed and blockers
- Able to influence the design of robust data collection, processing and analysis.
The temporary arrangement will be reviewed after three months; it is likely a range of opportunities similar to this may exist at that point, into which the successful candidate might move - extending their time with NHS Digital's Information and Analysis team.