- Role: Occupational Therapist - Children
- Contract Length: Asap - at least until December
- Pay rate : £32 per hour
- Inside IR35
- Location: Dartford Kent.
We are looking to recruit an Occupational Therapist - Children for our client who are working with moderate to severe learning difficulties, communication disorders, and complex needs near Dartford Kent.Key Tasks:
- To provide clinical expertise in the assessment, and management of children with learning disability in school and in the residential setting.
- To work closely with other colleagues to best meet the needs of individual children/young people and work closely, collaboratively and effectively with education staff.
- To autonomously manage a caseload of children/young people with moderate to severe learning difficulties, communication disorders, and complex needs, whilst liaising and communicating effectively to ensure that there is an integrated approach to meeting pupils needs at school and at home.
- To work in accordance with Academy safeguarding policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all students.
- To meet the provision identified in pupils EHCPs (Educational, Health Care Plans).
- To be responsible for the delivery of a holistic service to children/young people and integrating working practice with education staff and the wider multidisciplinary team (MDT).
- To be responsible for the planning, prioritisation and management of the caseload in relation to the client group and assist in the monitoring of service delivery of other members of staff where relevant.
- To carry out Occupational Therapy (OT) assessment of children/young people with consideration of the impact of their difficulties on their functional abilities and wider participation. This may include assessment and provision of specialist equipment that supports occupational engagement.
- To work in partnership with other professionals, parents, carers and education staff in the delivery of OT which is sensitive to the needs of this group of students.
- To provide high quality, evidence based and cost-effective OT provision for children/young people, with responsibility for integrated clinical educational working.
- To select and maintain the specialist equipment required for each client group in consultation with the line manager.
- To monitor and evaluate occupational therapy interventions in order to measure progress and ensure effectiveness of the interventions.
- To keep accurate case records for each student containing assessment information, aims and objectives of therapy, details of therapy provided and pertinent discussions with staff and parents.
- To provide clinical leadership, advice, guidance and supervision to Occupational Therapy Assistant and education staff.
- To lead on the development of training to support education staff and parents / carers to implement strategies and approaches devised by the occupational therapist.
- To lead and participate in service evaluation, including audit.
- To ensure clinical documentation is maintained and reflects COT standards and is in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
- To provide specialist reports both written and verbal in MDT meetings, network meetings and Annual Reviews.
- To attend staff meetings, parent days and Annual Reviews as required.
- To participate in regular Supervision and Performance Management.
- To adhere to Health Professions Council (HPC) and College of Occupational Therapists (COT) standards in relation to the post. This will include maintenance of CPD activity in order to meet HPC standards.
- To maintain confidentiality in all aspects. The nature of the working environment entrusts people with confidential information. Any breach of this confidentiality will constitute gross misconduct.
- To be aware of and sympathetic to specific individual student behaviour management strategies. To provide advice when strategies are being planned in order that sensory processing difficulties are identified, and appropriate adaptations are sought.
- To perform any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the position as requested by the Principal.
This job description reflects the current requirements of the post. As duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and is subject to amendment in consultation with the postholder.