PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Design Manager reports to the Programme Manager:
* To lead and coordinate the work of the design office.
* To put the processes and procedures in place for all aspects of design assurance and validation.
* To put in place the processes and procedures to enable the management, control and reporting of progress in respect of the Design Function and its Key Performance Indicators.
MISSION & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Responsible for setting the design programme, ensuring the design function is adequately resourced. Lead the design team, mentor, coach and constructively review the performance of the design staff.
* Work in close coordination with the engineering and field personnel to deliver the project within the budget and stipulated time frame. Responsible for taking care of the schedules, budgets and project criteria for the entire network design.
* To represent the Project for all matters pertaining to design at meetings with the Client, the local authorities, and highways agency. Responsible for presenting Designs for approval on time and ensuring the approvals process is transparent, effective and efficient.
* Provide technical expertise in drawing production work such as analysis, fiber optic network design, Sizing and dimensioning, topology layout, fiber splice plans, cable duct and routing.
* To step in, manage and rectify any complex issues related to permits, approvals and other matters that may affect the project delivery and that require escalation to resolve.
* Responsible for putting in place a procedure to monitor and record design data input for the Key Performance Indicators that support the monthly project performance and progress reports.
* Respects and enforces the Group's Quality, Safety and Environment (QSE) instructions delivering "Safe By Design"
For this position, the ideal candidate should have the following skills, experience and knowledge:
* Bachelor's or Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, Telecoms Design or related field.
* Proven and successful track record (5+ years) in a leadership and/or management role for a Fibre Optic Network Design office/project.
* Deep understanding of FTTH related: technology, architecture, design, planning, and engineering aspects
* Knowledge of CAD and CAD software
* Design principles, industry standards, and installation practices.
* Detailed knowledge of the construction site and construction methods
* Understand budgetary control and resource allocation procedures.
* Excellent organisational and leadership skills.
* Excellent written, communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
* Good interpersonal and time management and proven stakeholder management skills.
* Excellent organisation and problem-solving.
* Good working knowledge of Microsoft office.
* Previous Highways/Street works experience
* Knowledge of Liverpool Local Authority areas and geography
* Project Management