Coalesce has an Engineering Laboratory featuring a workshop area to support its work in developing medical devices. We build intricate prototypes of the designs we develop, as well as test rigs that help us to understand, improve, and prove our designs. The work involves making and modifying parts and assemblies using a variety of techniques such as turning, manual and CNC milling, 3D printing, laser cutting, etc.
We are looking for a versatile individual who is fully conversant with all aspects of workshop processes and practice including milling, turning and CNC programming and machining, and who will eventually take over the running and maintenance of the Coalesce workshop facility.
* Make or modify parts as required using either manual machine tools or by programming, setting, and CNC machining;
* Work towards taking over the running and maintenance of the workshop area; and
* Provide workshop advice and assistance to other staff members.
* Work within Coalesce's ISO 13485 quality system;
* Make/modify parts as required using machine tools (lathe, milling machine, bandsaw, CNC machine etc);
* Overcome the challenges associated with making particularly small, intricate, high-performance parts;
* Assist in the running of the workshop, whilst utilising their knowledge and experience to discover opportunities for improvement and to drive change, eventually taking over responsibility for the area;
* Maintain equipment by completing preventative maintenance procedures to adhere to warranties and compliance; following manufacturers' instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; and organising repairs;
* Manage the calibration of equipment;
* Maintain materials and tooling stock levels;
* Maintain a clean and safe work area;
* Ensure safe operations and conduct of staff in accordance with established safety procedures and regulations ;
* Use metrology tools including high speed video, microscopy, and CMM measuring systems; and
* Assist engineers in running tests and documenting test methods and results.
* Computer literacy - conversant with Microsoft Excel, Word etc. and a working knowledge of 3D CAD/CAM (SolidWorks and/or Fusion 360 preferred);
* Extensive practical workshop/machine tool experience;
* CNC programming and machining experience;
* Minimum ONC Mechanical Engineering or equivalent (HNC preferred);
* Ability to perform work accurately and effectively under tight deadlines;
* Ability to use reasoning to solve a problem and to come up with new concepts or ideas;
* Excellent coordination and mechanical skills;
* Strong written and verbal communication skills; and
* Results orientated, enthusiastic, and driven by excellence