Engineering Manager- Data Platform
Excellent opportunity for an experienced Engineering Manager - Data Platform for a global market leader in the data technology. You will lead a team responsible for big data structure that powers our entire business, with a remit that spans DevOps, data engineering, data analysis, and data science.
They use technologies like Spark, BigQuery, Kafka, ScyllaDB, Druid, and Postgres and are constantly looking at how we can do things better. This is a growing team with big responsibilities and exciting challenges ahead of it, as they look to reach the next 10x level of scale and intelligence. They are passionate about teamwork and technology and we are looking for someone who wants to make a difference within a growing, successful company.
Their Engineering Managers are technically fluent, hands-on leaders who help facilitate communication between their business, customers, and teams. They are active technical and non-technical mentors, with a passion for attracting, nurturing, motivating, and getting the most out of amazing people. They ensure they deliver products that delight and astound customers and that have a long-lasting impact on the business. They do this while also optimizing the team for long-lasting agility, which is often synonymous with practicing Good Engineering. They are almost always adherents of Lean Development and work well in environments with technical uncertainties and ambitious goals.
* Build, lead, and manage a cross-functional engineering team to design, deliver, support, and iterate data products and infrastructure
* Drive a culture of Lean Development and ensure that the team you're responsible for operates efficiently and effectively
* Empower and mentor team members to improve their craft, deliver high-quality products, and develop themselves as individuals
* Work cross-functionally to build a great engineering culture within the team
* Help identify and take advantage of new and innovative opportunities for commercial and technical growth
* Ensure that our products and services are built and operate to a high standard and anticipate the future
* Own some non-trivial technical responsibility, to help lead with empathy, mentor from experience, and maintain visibility on our key infrastructure
* 1+ years' experience managing teams solving complex, large-scale data challenges
* 5+ years engineering experience solving complex, large-scale data challenges
* Detail-oriented, collaborative, inspiring, customer-focused, and self-motivating
* Strong decision-making skills and an ability to effectively prioritise against business outcomes
* Highly capable of attracting and retaining top talent into your team
* Ability to see and manage toward the Big Picture
* Hands-on implementation and architectural familiarity with streaming data, relational and non-relational databases, orchestration frameworks, and distributed processing technologies (e.g. Spark)
* Familiarity with remote management and working
* Advanced knowledge of cloud-based services (AWS, GCP)
* Excellent working understanding of server-side Linux
* Experience integrating and consuming data from third party API's
* Advanced knowledge and experience with tools like Google BigQuery and Spark to solve data-centric problems
* Experience with data processing pipelines using Airflow
* Exposure to Docker and Kubernetes
* Understanding and ability to innovate, apply, and optimise complex algorithms and statistical techniques to large data structures
This is a full-time, permanent position based in the UK and reporting into a Chief Technology Officer. They have embraced home working and expect this to continue indefinitely, but occasional face-to-face meetings may be expected in the future and ideally, this will be based out of their Engineering Hub in Edinburgh, although they can also accommodate someone working from their London office.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/91010772