Would you like a new and challenging role at a special school in Shirehampton?
We have a role at a special school who is looking for a teaching assistant to support children with SLD (Severe Learning Difficulties). Pupils who have SLD will have very significant cognitive or intellectual difficulties.
Candidates with experience supporting children with challenging behaviour and/ or SLD are encouraged to apply. This role is full time and ongoing. You will either need to have a valid, 12-hour team teach course or you will have to commit to attending a 2-day course in the October half term (depending on ongoing health guidelines).
These roles requite consistency and are not ideal if you cannot commit to 8.30-3.30, 5 days per week in term time. One day per week you will need to work until 16:30 to cover a staff meeting.
Responsibilities and duties
- Supporting pupils with SLD and possibly other needs
- Supporting pupils on a 1:1 basis and in small groups and following work plans provided
- Working with other support staff and class teachers
- Supporting students with vocational courses
- Supporting students working at National Curriculum levels or P Levels depending on their needs
- Enabling pupils to develop skills in the following areas - Engagement, Communication, Social, Emotional and Personal development and Play
- Must have at least 2 years of experience working with SEN/SLD
- All candidates who work at this school need to have Team Teach; if you don't have it already Five Education offer periodic training courses that are low-cost or free
- Will have strong communication and empathy skills
- Will be able to provide empathy and guidance
- Will be able to build rapport with pupils, parents and carers from a variety of backgrounds
- Will be confident, flexible and positive
Five Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all of the staff we employ to share this commitment. Successful applicants will be required to undergo checks including a barred list check, reference checks and will need to have a DBS; there will also be a face to face interview.