Responsible to: Nursery Managers and Owners
Purpose of job: To assist the managers and effectively manage the day to day running of the nursery in the manager's absence.
Monday - Friday
Duties and responsibilities:
1. Support the managers in the daily running of the nursery.
2. Undertake the general running and supervision of the nursery in the
3. Assist in the recruiting, training and support of staff as a team and
4. Ensure that the individual needs and routines of the children are met.
5. Oversee, organise, supervise and carry out an interesting and
stimulating range of activities, taking into account the ages and abilities
of the children, and incorporating the EYFS.
6. Take an active part in story-telling, songs and rhymes, music and
movement, and outside activities.
7. Have sound knowledge and understanding of the EYFS and Ofsted
regulations and keep updated with changes.
8. Produce plans and implement appropriately for children using the
9. Lead staff in maintaining accurate and effective children's records.
Observe, support and extend children's learning and development.
10. Oversee and help settle new children as a key person, forming and
maintaining relationships with the children and their families, keeping
them up to date with regular formal and informal meetings and
11. Work in partnership with parents/carers, make them welcome in the
nursery and give feedback on their child's day, promoting parental
partnership and involvement.
12. Lead and be part of good practice with regards to special educational
needs and inclusion, working closely with SENCO and other outside
professionals and agencies as required.
13. Supervise children at meal and rest times.
14. Ensure that there is no discrimination in the nursery due to disability,
gender, race or religion, encouraging children from ethnic minority
groups to maintain their cultural identities.
15. Inform the nursery managers of any accident or injury within the
16. Hold a current DBS and be willing to be interviewed by Ofsted as a
nominated member of the staff team.
17. Display a good understanding of safeguarding procedures and inform
the managers of any child protection issue, ensuring the children's
safety and welfare.
18. Be aware of the fire evacuation procedure and fire exits.
19. Comply with Health & Safety rules within the nursery.
20. Help keep equipment and play areas in good order.
21. Oversee the shared responsibility of hygiene, health and safety, and
cleanliness throughout the nursery, and deliver the highest standard of
hygiene and cleanliness in the bedding, nappy changing and
22. Prepare and serve tea for the children, taking responsibility with other
staff for hygiene and cleanliness, ensuring nutritional needs are met
and food safety regulations are adhered to.
23. Attend, lead and contribute in staff meetings, usually every 4-6 weeks