We currently have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to join us as our Apprentice MEICA based in Plymouth. Joining us on a full time, permanent basis, you will receive a starting salary of £11,306 in year one, rising to £16,000 per annum over time plus an excellent training programme!
South West Water is part of Pennon Group, a successful and stable business which prides itself on sustainability. We provide reliable, efficient and high quality drinking water and waste water services for a population of c. 1.7 million in Cornwall, Devon, and parts of Somerset and Dorset.
We believe that by investing in the future of our region, we are not only improving the quality of life for today's residents and visitors but are also taking responsibility for future generations. Responsibility for the environment is central to this. Our aim is to continually drive up standards, particularly in the areas that matter most to our customers.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities and each other.
Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.
We know that the support and commitment of our staff is key to our success so you will receive the opportunity for ongoing development and training for a long term career with us. We're one of the largest companies in the South West and are proud to have been awarded Investors in People recognition. In return, we offer an excellent range of benefits which include: free car parking at the majority of our sites, company Sharesave Scheme, childcare support, and various health benefits.
Working within the Waste Water or Drinking Water Services as our Apprentice MEICA, you will have the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in supporting ICA (Instrumentation Control Automation), electrical systems and mechanical assets.
The Operational Maintenance teams are responsible for maintaining the company's circa 80,000 Mechanical, Electrical and ICA (MEICA) assets and the associated communication networks throughout our region (Devon, Cornwall and parts of Somerset).
Within this team you will gain experience alongside competent craftspeople to install, repair and maintain South West Water's electrical, mechanical and process control systems; monitoring the equipment on remote sites to support the delivery of Drinking Water and Waste Water services.
Gaining a recognised professional qualification as you learn, you can look forward to great prospects with one of the South West's largest employers.
Responsibilities as our Apprentice MEICA will include:
- Delivering quality support using your expertise and experience in your engineering discipline
- Conforming and adhering at all times to current ISO, H&S systems, Risk Assessments, Method Statements, Atmosphere and Confined Space procedures, ATEX/DSEAR/CompEx, LOLER, PUWER, and company policies
- Delivering cost effective improvements to assets and systems including VSD's, motors, submersible, and non-submersible pumps and control methodology
- Complying with all business rules relating to the delivery of and feedback regarding all maintenance activity
What we are looking for in our ideal Apprentice MEICA:
- Have achieved, or expected to achieve, 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade A-C including Maths, English and Science
- Higher qualification such as A Level/Technical Qualification in a relevant subject area (desirable)
- Experience of the working environment (part time job/work experience) (desirable)
- Experience of team work
- Good IT skills with familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Good logical problem solver
- A basic understanding of why health and safety is important
- Ability to use initiative
- Ability to listen, follow instructions and organise self to complete tasks fully and on time
- Able to communicate well with others in writing and verbally
- Able to challenge others in order to get the most out of learning
- Motivated to learn from others
- A full UK Driving License or ability to obtain by January 2021
- Must be able to travel to and from base location
Please note, any skills you don't currently have, we will work with you to train you!
Closing date: Sunday 11th October 2020
If you are looking for a brand new career, please click apply now to be considered as our Apprentice MEICA - we look forward to receiving your application