One of our local authority clients are currently recruiting for a Procurement Officer. This is a temporary contract for 6 - 12 months with possible further extension based on budget and performance.
Main Purpose of Post/Job Summary
* These are exciting times for public services, infrastructure and regeneration in Portsmouth. Major investment is delivering a wealth of improvements to the city that will help facilitate greater economic prosperity for its residents. In addition, against a wider agenda of reducing budgets there is a clear focus on spending less and getting more value for public money.
* At Portsmouth City Council there will be plenty of opportunities for you to demonstrate and develop your procurement and contract management expertise in the central procurement department. The central procurement department advises across all areas of the organisation including social care, building, transport and IT. As such this is a great opportunity for you to develop and widen your contract and supplier relationship management experience.
* Reporting to the procurement manager in respect of contract management activities / governance and the assistant procurement manager in respect of indirect procurement activities. This is a diverse procurement role focusing on contract management at strategic level and key indirect spend areas. You will act as the procurement lead officer for indirect spend and you will be integral to the council's governance of its contracts, supporting the procurement department in its role of exercising control over and providing assurance on the council's external spend.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Assist in the preparation of contract performance and compliance reports for the governance and audit and standards committee (GAS).
* Assist in the development of the council's approach to contract management and governance.
* Contract management of indirect supplies / services.
* Category lead for commodities.
* Support services in their purchasing activities.
* Act as the Procurement lead officer on indirect procurement projects.
* Engage & work closely with new & existing suppliers
* Mapping spend and spotting opportunities for strategic sourcing to deliver savings
* As required, provide contract management advice and guidance to council departments (and where appropriate other external organisations) to ensure best value for money, quality, and contractual compliance.
* Support the strategic contract management board by commissioning reports on strategic contracts to be brought to the board within defined guidelines or on instruction of the board.
* Act as secretary to the board by arranging meetings and taking minutes.
* Support the strategic contract management board (SCMB) in any contract reviews it instructs, including arranging and participating in negotiation meetings with strategic suppliers.
* Prepare contract reports for directors and cabinet members.
* Ensure that advice given reflects accurately the council's contract procedure rules.
* Lead on the implementation and management of the contract management processes through the contract procedure rules and other procurement tools (including the e procurement system (In-tend) and contract operations manual).
* Manage and develop the corporate KPI (key performance indicator) procedures to ensure accurate performance measurements are reported to directors and cabinet members.
* Undertake credit checks on the council's supplier base and provide advice to council departments based on company business intelligence.
The above is a brief overview of the role, details and specification will be provided should you be successful. If interested in this position, please send your CV to Jahker Miah at Coyle Personnel Ltd