- Therapeutic Teaching Assistant
- £70+ per day
- Full time position, Monday to Friday
- To Start ASAP
- OFSTED rated Good
- Location: Newham
Do you have a background in therapy? Are passionate about working with vulnerable pupils with SEMH Needs?
I'm currently recruiting for a confident and capable Therapeutic Teaching Assistant to join this developing school in Newham. A background in Music therapy, Drama Therapy, Art Therapy, counselling or youth work is highly desired. The Therapeutic Teaching Assistant will need to have a good working knowledge of developmental psychology and attachment theory to support students coping with trauma or backgrounds of abuse and neglect. You will support pupils to develop emotional regulation techniques and working alongside the therapy team to ensure pupils are accurately diagnosed and their needs are well understood.
You will be working across nurture classes in the Primary School and the Secondary School, based on the school site in Newham. Pupils mainly come through referrals from the local Newham authority and are in need of further SEMH assessment or at risk of permanent exclusion/ have been permanently excluded from their mainstream school. The day consists of six lesson blocks, each 45 minutes long. The school day starts at 9am and the last lesson of the day finishes at 2.45pm. During these lesson blocks, you will work 1:1 with students or in small groups, providing regular therapy intervention and ensuring assessments are up to date.
The Therapeutic Teaching Assistant will work alongside Teachers, Teaching Assistants, Student Support Officers and the Social Worker, Educational Psychologist, Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist on the team.
This is a unique opportunity for aspiring Music Therapists, Art Therapists, Drama Therapists, Clinical Psychologists and counsellors to gain education and training in a specialist SEMH school.The Therapeutic Teaching Assistant Role:
- Working alongside the therapy team across all ages and classes
- Providing 1:1 and group interventions conducting assessments
- Therapy education and training
- Experience supporting young people with Social, Emotional and Mental Health Needs required
- Experience working in a school setting and managing challenging behaviour highly desired
- Strong understanding of attachment theory and developmental psychology
- Proven ability to use therapy interventions effectively with pupils
- Genuine passion for supporting marginalised youth, patience and professionalism.
- Specialist provision with a Primary and Secondary School on site
- Primary School supporting students in Year 3-6
- Secondary school supporting students aged 14-16 years of age
- Supporting marginalised youth with SEMH needs, requiring respite from mainstream or further assessment
- Strong focus on vocational links and sustained pathways into further education and training
- OFSTED rated Good
- Based in Newham
Click apply now or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02030314863 for more information.