Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, please note there may be delays to our recruitment timeline.Description
The British Antarctic Survey (BAS), part of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), aims to undertake a world-class programme of scientific research, and to sustain for the UK an active and influential regional presence and a leadership role in Antarctic affairs.We are looking to appoint a Management Accountant to
Who are we?
- Deliver effective and efficient financial support, analysis, reporting, initiatives and specialised services for BAS Assets and Commercial Projects
- Manage the activities and development of a member of the finance team.
- Work closely with colleagues in NERC Swindon and other Research centres shaping financial strategy
British Antarctic Survey's skilled science and support staff based in Cambridge, Antarctica and the Arctic, work together to deliver research that uses the Polar Regions to advance our understanding of Earth as a sustainable planet. Through its extensive logistic capability and know how BAS facilitates access for the British and international science community to the UK polar research operation. Numerous national and international collaborations, combined with an excellent infrastructure help sustain a world leading position for the UK in Antarctic affairs.
We employ experts from many different professions to carry out our Science as well as to keep the lights on, feed the research and support teams and keep everyone safe! If you are looking for an opportunity to work with amazing people in amazing places, then British Antarctic Survey could be for you. We aim to attract the best people for those jobs.Purpose
Delivery of effective and efficient financial support, analysis and reporting, with a focus on BAS Commercial and Externally Funded Projects, and Assets.Qualification
Part qualified accountant, working towards CCAB or equivalent level by experience.Duties
- Develop and implement standard and strategic financial reporting formats for fixed assets and commercial projects for delivery to all stakeholders
- Coordinate budgeting, planning and forecasting processes for assets and commercial projects
- Assist in the implementation of relevant Financial Policy
- Contribute to the planning and delivery of financial training to non-finance staff
- Reconcile capital and related resource expenditure
- Reconcile items in Fixed Asset Clearing codes
- Interim and year end audit work relating to fixed assets and commercial projects
- Fixed asset annual expenditure profile for NERC based on reconciliations and reporting
- Oversight of Capitalization process by budget holders
- Inventory control and update (include physical verifications)
- Setting up Capital & Commercial projects on Oracle
- Monthly adjustment journals
- Raise and reconcile revenue for commercial projects
- Costings for external income and support grants pre and post award
- Manage performance and professional development of assistant management accountant
Please quote reference: BAS 20/82
Closing date for receipt of application forms is: 11th October 2020
Interviews are scheduled to be held: 21st & 22nd October 2020
BAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and promoting equality in careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and have an active Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme of activity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. People from ethnic minorities and disabled people are currently under-represented and their applications are particularly welcome. We operate a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the job. We are open to a range of flexible working options, including job sharing, to support childcare and other caring responsibilities.