SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR / ENGINEER (LINUX) - London, SW9
A talented Systems Administrator and Linux enthusiast is needed to join a highly creative team, in London. They are the leading website platform for the world's top art galleries and artists. They are already the technical backbone of a large amount of art businesses - and growing rapidly.
As a result of the COVID-19 crisis, this role would involve working remotely until the team eventually transition back to working from their London office. Therefore, you must be capable of working from home (adequate working conditions, low noise levels, decent broadband connection) and then be able to work in their London office. You will need to have the legal right to live and work in the UK to be considered for this role.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a Systems Administrator / Linux Systems Engineer to progress their career and play a crucial role in supporting and improving the infrastructure that runs the best websites, databases and apps for the art world. Based in London & New York, our client is on a mission to make the business of art more efficient, giving galleries, artists & collectors more time and space to do the things they love. Their high energy, high standards culture and collaborative approach encourages team members to flourish. They are passionate about building the most advanced website and database platform for the art world and delivering incredible work to their growing list of over 1,500 clients across six continents.
More about the Systems Administrator & Engineer (Linux) role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic Systems Administrator & Engineer with extensive Linux (preferably Debian) experience and a keen interest in cloud to dive into our clients infrastructure, initially helping with administration of Linux compute engine instances and technical support for the development teams. The successful candidate would then progress to helping configure, setup and maintain stateless workloads in Google App Engine or Kubernetes and manage their cloud infrastructure.
Under the direction of the CTO, the Systems Administrator & Engineer will be tasked to implement automations, perform regular maintenance and be on-call, out-of-hours to assist with infrastructure emergencies. A high level of programming knowledge is not required for this role, but we do expect good shell scripting and basic Python knowledge.
As our client provides a 7 day per week service, the expected hours for this role are Tuesday to Saturday, from 9.30am to 6pm.
The Systems Administrator & Engineer (Linux) will be joining a small but growing infrastructure team reporting directly to the CTO. As a fast-growing company with evolving needs, you will have the opportunity to expand your skills and develop your ideas, having a tangible impact on the performance of their integrated platform. You will be tasked with submitting proposals, changes will be reviewed and approved together with the rest of the infrastructure team. You will make clear documentation as you go, actioning the plans made during the review. You will need to be friendly, keep a level head and be methodical in your approach to building, improving, testing, and fixing issues that will affect many thousands of clients and millions of end users.
You will need to be a Systems Administrator / Engineer / IT Systems Administrator / Business Systems Administrator / Linux Enthusiast or similar who can demonstrate:
- Thorough knowledge of Linux (preferably Debian);
- Knowledge of systemd, permissions, users and groups, shell scripting and package management (apt);
- Good knowledge of networking and firewalls;
- A basic knowledge of Python - some python programming/scripting & package/module management;
- A basic understanding of WSGI apps;
- A basic knowledge of Kubernetes and a willingness to learn;
- Excellent communication skills;
- The ability to embrace new working practices and methodology;
- A problem solving ability with analytical and abstract reasoning skills.
The below are highly beneficial, but not essential – though a keen interest in learning is a required:
- Experience with terraform, ansible or alike;
- Experience with GCP;
- Docker experience;
- Packaging applications;
- An interest in the creative industries and fine art in particular would make the position even more exciting and enjoyable but is not required.
This is a brilliant opportunity to join a rewarding company at an incredibly exciting time – they are already well established but very ambitious for high growth. They have a hugely talented, friendly, committed team of over 40 people and they are a diverse and welcoming group. Our London based office is bright and open plan, bathed in natural light. Located in Offley Works, a vibrant creative hub of businesses within a renovated factory building, only a short walk from Oval Underground station and close to Stockwell and Vauxhall. They offer:
- A friendly and relaxed working environment;
- The security of a long-established business with a stable team;
- The excitement of a busy company in a high growth phase;
- Beautifully designed open-plan office with natural light and windows that open;
- Great equipment, iMac or MacBook for everyone
- Free communal team lunch every Friday;
- Well stocked kitchen with espresso machine and snacks;
- Awesome on-site canteen;
- Indoor secure bicycle parking and showers.